April 12, 2014
MINNEAPOLIS – The No. 61 Minnesota women’s tennis team dropped a 7-0 contest to 14th-ranked Michigan Saturday at the Varsity Tennis Center in Ann Arbor, Mich. With the defeat, the Gophers fell to 15-6 on the season with a 5-3 mark in the Big Ten. It was the team’s second road loss in eight contests this season.
Michigan began the day by utilizing two ranked doubles tandems to take the first point of the match.
At No. 1, No. 15 Brooke Bolender and Emina Bektas beat Tereza Brichacova and Jessika Mozia and at No. 2, No. 79 Sarah Lee and Amy Zhu defeated Natallia Pintusava and Julia Courter. Both matches were decided by 8-2 scores. Aria Lambert and Paula Rincon Otero were trailing 6-5 and did not get to finish their match at No. 3.
The Wolverines picked up in singles play where they left off in doubles, winning quickly at Nos. 3 and 4 while conceding just four games combined in the two matches.
Twelfth-ranked Bektas sealed the team win after winning a 7-4 tiebreaker in the second set against Brichacova.
After picking up another win at No. 6, No. 20 Ronit Yurovsky won at No. 2 over Pintusava and Zhu beat Lambert—both in three-set affairs—to conclude the shutout.
The Gophers pick up play Sunday when they face 60th-ranked Michigan State in East Lansing, MIch.
No. 14 Michigan 7, No. 61 Minnesota 0
April 12, 2014
Varsity Tennis Center | Ann Arbor, Mich.
1. No. 12 Emina Bektas (MICH) def. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
2. No. 20 Ronit Yurovsky (MICH) def. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
3. Brooke Bolender (MICH) def. Jessika Mozia (MINN) 6-1, 6-0
4. No. 121 Sarah Lee (MICH) def. Julia Courter (MINN) 6-1, 6-2
5. Amy Zhu (MICH) def. Aria Lambert (MINN) 7-6, 5-7, 1-0 (10-7)
6. Kristen Dodge (MICH) def. Maja Vujic (MINN) 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
1. No. 15 Brooke Bolender/Emina Bektas (MICH) def. Tereza Brichacova/Jessika Mozia (MINN) 8-2
2. No. 79 Sarah Lee/Amy Zhu (MICH) def. Natallia Pintusava/Julia Courter (MINN) 8-2
3. Kristen Dodge/Ronit Yurovsky (MICH) vs. Aria Lambert/Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) unfinished
Minnesota 15-6 (5-3 B1G); National ranking No. 61
Michigan 16-3 (8-0 B1G); National ranking No. 14
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (3,4,1,6,2,5)
Gophers Finish Regional with 29 Wins
The University of Minnesota finished the USTA/ITA Central Region Championships at Baseline Tennis Saturday with 20 singles match wins and seven doubles match wins.
Gophers Pick Up Five More Wins At Regionals
Multiple Golden Gophers advanced in the main and consolation draws at the USTA/ITA Central Region Championships Saturday at Baseline Tennis Center.
Gophers Collect More Wins On Day Two
The University of Minnesota collected four singles wins and two doubles win on day two of the USTA/ITA Central Region Championships at Baseline Tennis Center.