April 12, 2014
MINNEAPOLIS – The No. 61 Minnesota women’s tennis team dropped a 7-0 contest to 14th-ranked Michigan Saturday at the Varsity Tennis Center in Ann Arbor, Mich. With the defeat, the Gophers fell to 15-6 on the season with a 5-3 mark in the Big Ten. It was the team’s second road loss in eight contests this season.
Michigan began the day by utilizing two ranked doubles tandems to take the first point of the match.
At No. 1, No. 15 Brooke Bolender and Emina Bektas beat Tereza Brichacova and Jessika Mozia and at No. 2, No. 79 Sarah Lee and Amy Zhu defeated Natallia Pintusava and Julia Courter. Both matches were decided by 8-2 scores. Aria Lambert and Paula Rincon Otero were trailing 6-5 and did not get to finish their match at No. 3.
The Wolverines picked up in singles play where they left off in doubles, winning quickly at Nos. 3 and 4 while conceding just four games combined in the two matches.
Twelfth-ranked Bektas sealed the team win after winning a 7-4 tiebreaker in the second set against Brichacova.
After picking up another win at No. 6, No. 20 Ronit Yurovsky won at No. 2 over Pintusava and Zhu beat Lambert—both in three-set affairs—to conclude the shutout.
The Gophers pick up play Sunday when they face 60th-ranked Michigan State in East Lansing, MIch.
No. 14 Michigan 7, No. 61 Minnesota 0
April 12, 2014
Varsity Tennis Center | Ann Arbor, Mich.
1. No. 12 Emina Bektas (MICH) def. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
2. No. 20 Ronit Yurovsky (MICH) def. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
3. Brooke Bolender (MICH) def. Jessika Mozia (MINN) 6-1, 6-0
4. No. 121 Sarah Lee (MICH) def. Julia Courter (MINN) 6-1, 6-2
5. Amy Zhu (MICH) def. Aria Lambert (MINN) 7-6, 5-7, 1-0 (10-7)
6. Kristen Dodge (MICH) def. Maja Vujic (MINN) 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
1. No. 15 Brooke Bolender/Emina Bektas (MICH) def. Tereza Brichacova/Jessika Mozia (MINN) 8-2
2. No. 79 Sarah Lee/Amy Zhu (MICH) def. Natallia Pintusava/Julia Courter (MINN) 8-2
3. Kristen Dodge/Ronit Yurovsky (MICH) vs. Aria Lambert/Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) unfinished
Minnesota 15-6 (5-3 B1G); National ranking No. 61
Michigan 16-3 (8-0 B1G); National ranking No. 14
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (3,4,1,6,2,5)
Gophers Hire Ward as Assistant Coach
The University of Minnesota women’s tennis program has added Brian Ward as an assistant coach, announced Monday by head coach Catrina Thompson.
Gopher Tennis To Take Part in Charity Event
Both current and former Minnesota women’s tennis players will be taking part in the 32nd annual Pine Tree Apple Tennis Classic Tournament
Meet Head Coach Catrina Thompson
Catrina Thompson sat down with GopherSports.com to talk about her vision for Minnesota tennis, her journey to becoming a head coach and her twin sister who is also a Division I Head Coach.