April 6, 2014
MINNEAPOLIS – The 55th-ranked Minnesota women’s tennis team bounced back from a 7-0 Friday loss at the hands of Ohio State with a 4-3 win against Penn State on the road Sunday. The Gophers earned their 15th win of the season and their fifth victory in Big Ten play.
With the triumph against a Penn State team that picked up its first Big Ten win in seven attempts against Wisconsin Friday, the Gophers improved to 6-1 away from home. Minnesota was winless on the road in 2013.
Paula Rincon Otero and Aria Lambert set the tone for the match by blanking Lisa Petruzillo and Emily Rivers, 8-0, at No. 3 doubles. Natallia Pintusava and Julia Courter picked up an 8-4 win at No. 2 to move to 16-2 on the season as a pair and clinch the match’s first point.
Freshman Maja Vujic extended the team’s lead by dominating Emily Rivers in a 6-0, 6-0 victory and Lambert made it 3-0 by blanking Petruzillo in consecutive sets.
Courter secured the win by taking down Taylor Shukow in two sets at No. 4—she is now 15-4 on the season.
The Nittany Lions capped the match with wins at the top three singles spots.
Minnesota continues play Saturday with a trip to assistant coach Whitney Taney’s alma mater, No. 17 Michigan, before finishing its road schedule with a tilt against Michigan State Sunday in East Lansing, Mich.
No. 55 Minnesota 4, Penn State 3
April 6, 2014
Sarni Tennis Center | University Park, Pa.
1. Dasha Sapogova (PSU) def. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 6-4, 6-1
2. Katia Blik (PSU) def. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (5)
3. Carmen Sandor (PSU) def. Jessika Mozia (MINN) 6-2, 6-2
4. Julia Courter (MINN) def. Taylor Shukow (PSU) 6-4, 6-0
5. Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Lisa Petruzillo (PSU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Maja Vujic (MINN) def. Emily Rivers (PSU) 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 4, 3, 1, 2
1. Dasha Sapogova/Katia Blik (PSU) vs. Tereza Brichacova/Jessika Mozia (MINN) unfinished
2. Natallia Pintusava/Julia Courter (MINN) def. Carmen Sandor/Taylor Shukow (PSU) 8-4
3. Paula Rincon Otero/Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Lisa Petruzillo/Emily Rivers (PSU) 8-0
Order of Finish: 3, 2
Gophers Fall in B1G Tournament
Minnesota battled down to the wire but fell 4-1 to Wisconsin in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament this afternoon.
Gophers Ready for Border Battle Rematch
Minnesota made the Big Ten Tournament and will be the first match taking on Wisconsin Thursday at 10 a.m. at the Michigan State Tennis Facilities.
Seniors Leave Baseline Victorious
Minnesota ended the regular season on a winning note defeating Rutgers, 4-3, on senior day.