April 6, 2014
MINNEAPOLIS – The 55th-ranked Minnesota women’s tennis team bounced back from a 7-0 Friday loss at the hands of Ohio State with a 4-3 win against Penn State on the road Sunday. The Gophers earned their 15th win of the season and their fifth victory in Big Ten play.
With the triumph against a Penn State team that picked up its first Big Ten win in seven attempts against Wisconsin Friday, the Gophers improved to 6-1 away from home. Minnesota was winless on the road in 2013.
Paula Rincon Otero and Aria Lambert set the tone for the match by blanking Lisa Petruzillo and Emily Rivers, 8-0, at No. 3 doubles. Natallia Pintusava and Julia Courter picked up an 8-4 win at No. 2 to move to 16-2 on the season as a pair and clinch the match’s first point.
Freshman Maja Vujic extended the team’s lead by dominating Emily Rivers in a 6-0, 6-0 victory and Lambert made it 3-0 by blanking Petruzillo in consecutive sets.
Courter secured the win by taking down Taylor Shukow in two sets at No. 4—she is now 15-4 on the season.
The Nittany Lions capped the match with wins at the top three singles spots.
Minnesota continues play Saturday with a trip to assistant coach Whitney Taney’s alma mater, No. 17 Michigan, before finishing its road schedule with a tilt against Michigan State Sunday in East Lansing, Mich.
No. 55 Minnesota 4, Penn State 3
April 6, 2014
Sarni Tennis Center | University Park, Pa.
1. Dasha Sapogova (PSU) def. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 6-4, 6-1
2. Katia Blik (PSU) def. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (5)
3. Carmen Sandor (PSU) def. Jessika Mozia (MINN) 6-2, 6-2
4. Julia Courter (MINN) def. Taylor Shukow (PSU) 6-4, 6-0
5. Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Lisa Petruzillo (PSU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Maja Vujic (MINN) def. Emily Rivers (PSU) 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 4, 3, 1, 2
1. Dasha Sapogova/Katia Blik (PSU) vs. Tereza Brichacova/Jessika Mozia (MINN) unfinished
2. Natallia Pintusava/Julia Courter (MINN) def. Carmen Sandor/Taylor Shukow (PSU) 8-4
3. Paula Rincon Otero/Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Lisa Petruzillo/Emily Rivers (PSU) 8-0
Order of Finish: 3, 2
Merzbacher Gets 400th Career Victory
The Courtside Classic comes to a close with the Gophers winning the consolation match over New Mexico 5-2 earning Coach Chuck Merzbacher his 400th career victory.
Gophers Battle at Courtside Classic
Courtside Classic day one is in the books with the Gophers falling 4-3 to DePaul. All three Gophers seniors pulled out singles wins on the day.
Gophers Bring Back Courtside Classic
The re-established Courtside Classic is set for this weekend as the Gophers host DePaul, Mississippi State and New Mexico.