April 6, 2014
MINNEAPOLIS – The 55th-ranked Minnesota women’s tennis team bounced back from a 7-0 Friday loss at the hands of Ohio State with a 4-3 win against Penn State on the road Sunday. The Gophers earned their 15th win of the season and their fifth victory in Big Ten play.
With the triumph against a Penn State team that picked up its first Big Ten win in seven attempts against Wisconsin Friday, the Gophers improved to 6-1 away from home. Minnesota was winless on the road in 2013.
Paula Rincon Otero and Aria Lambert set the tone for the match by blanking Lisa Petruzillo and Emily Rivers, 8-0, at No. 3 doubles. Natallia Pintusava and Julia Courter picked up an 8-4 win at No. 2 to move to 16-2 on the season as a pair and clinch the match’s first point.
Freshman Maja Vujic extended the team’s lead by dominating Emily Rivers in a 6-0, 6-0 victory and Lambert made it 3-0 by blanking Petruzillo in consecutive sets.
Courter secured the win by taking down Taylor Shukow in two sets at No. 4—she is now 15-4 on the season.
The Nittany Lions capped the match with wins at the top three singles spots.
Minnesota continues play Saturday with a trip to assistant coach Whitney Taney’s alma mater, No. 17 Michigan, before finishing its road schedule with a tilt against Michigan State Sunday in East Lansing, Mich.
No. 55 Minnesota 4, Penn State 3
April 6, 2014
Sarni Tennis Center | University Park, Pa.
1. Dasha Sapogova (PSU) def. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 6-4, 6-1
2. Katia Blik (PSU) def. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (5)
3. Carmen Sandor (PSU) def. Jessika Mozia (MINN) 6-2, 6-2
4. Julia Courter (MINN) def. Taylor Shukow (PSU) 6-4, 6-0
5. Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Lisa Petruzillo (PSU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Maja Vujic (MINN) def. Emily Rivers (PSU) 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 4, 3, 1, 2
1. Dasha Sapogova/Katia Blik (PSU) vs. Tereza Brichacova/Jessika Mozia (MINN) unfinished
2. Natallia Pintusava/Julia Courter (MINN) def. Carmen Sandor/Taylor Shukow (PSU) 8-4
3. Paula Rincon Otero/Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Lisa Petruzillo/Emily Rivers (PSU) 8-0
Order of Finish: 3, 2
Gophers Hand Out Team Awards at Banquet
The University of Minnesota women’s tennis team held their team banquet Sunday where they handed out team awards and celebrated the season.
Ryba Earns All-Big Ten Honors
Caroline Ryba was named to the All-Big Ten Team for the second time in her collegiate career and was also named the team's Sportsmanship Award recipient.
Comeback Falls Short for Gophers
No. 8 seeded Minnesota fell in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament to No. 9 seeded Nebraska, 4-3, after falling in the final set.