April 4, 2014
The No. 55 Minnesota women's tennis team fell 7-0 on the road against No. 53 Ohio State Friday. The Buckeyes earned a pair of doubles wins before taking all six singles matches to cap the sweep. The Gophers dropped to 14-5 on the season with a 4-2 record in the Big Ten.
Against the Buckeyes, Minnesota is now 24-19 all-time.
In doubles, Ohio State got an 8-3 win from Gabriella De Santis and Sandy Niehaus at No. 2 before 79th-ranked duo Miho Kowase and Ferny Angeles Paz clinched the first point of the match at No. 3 with a win by the same score. Natallia Pintusava and Julia Courter, playing at No. 1 for the second time this season, entered the match with a 15-2 record, but saw their contest against No. 69 Grainne O'Neill and Noelle Malley go unfinished.
To clinch the match, Niehaus beat Jessika Mozia 6-4, 6-1 at No. 3, O'Neill defeated Maja Vujic in straight sets in the six spot, and Kowase dispatched Pintusava in two sets at No. 2.
The Buckeyes completed the match with wins at the Nos. 1, 4, and 5 positions. Aria Lambert was the only Gopher player to win a set, bouncing back from a 6-4 loss in the first set to win 6-2 in the second set. Her opponent, Nicole Flower, won the supertiebreaker, 10-8, to complete the match.
Minnesota will look to get back on track Sunday morning at 10 a.m. CT with a match at Penn State.
No. 53 Ohio State 7, No. 55 Minnesota 0
April 4, 2014
Varsity Tennis Center | Columbus, Ohio
1. Gabriella De Santis (OSU) def. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 6-2, 6-0
2. Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 6-0, 6-1
3. Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Jessika Mozia (MINN) 6-4, 6-1
4. Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Julia Courter (MINN) 6-3, 6-3
5. Nicole Flower (OSU) def. Aria Lambert (MINN) 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (8)
6. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Maja Vujic (MINN) 6-0, 6-3
1. No. 69 Grainne O'Neill/Noelle Malley (OSU) vs. Natallia Pintusava/Julia Courter (MINN) 7-5, unfinished
2. Gabriella De Santis/Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Tereza Brichacova/Jessika Mozia (MINN) 8-3
3. No. 79 Miho Kowase/Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Kendall Heitzner/Yuliana Umanets (MINN) 8-3
Minnesota 14-5, 4-2 B1G; National ranking No. 55
Ohio State 12-7, 3-3 B1G; National ranking No. 53
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (3,6,2,1,4,5)
First Serve With Kalyssa Hall
Kalyssa Hall comes to the Gophers after winning two 4A state championships at Cherry Creek High School.
River Hart Signs With Minnesota
University of Minnesota head coach Chuck Merzbacher announced the signing of River Hart Tuesday.
First Serve With Tina Kreinis
Tina Kreinis has posted five singles match victories and seven doubles match wins this fall for the Gophers.