March 30, 2014
MINNEAPOLIS – The 63rd-ranked Minnesota women’s tennis team got back on track after a Friday loss by defeating 35th-ranked Indiana, 5-2, at the Baseline Tennis Center Sunday morning. The Gophers, whose six-match winning streak was derailed by No. 46 Purdue Friday night won Sunday to improve to 14-4 on the year with a 4-1 mark in Big Ten play. The Maroon and Gold finished with three conference wins in 2013.
With the victory, the Gophers improved to 9-3 at home on the season. It was their second win over a ranked opponent in five matches.
Indiana got out to the early advantage with an 8-1 win at No. 3 doubles. The Gophers answered with an 8-4 win by Julia Courter and Natallia Pintusava at No. 2 that improved the duo’s spring record to 15-2, but the Hoosiers claimed the first point by taking the top doubles flight, 8-4.
Tereza Brichacova got Minnesota going in singles by recording her 10th win of the spring with a 6-4, 6-1 over Katie Klyczek at No. 1. It was the Prague, Czech Republic native’s second win of the weekend.
At No. 4, Julia Courter gave the Gophers the lead for good by dispatching Alecia Kauss, 6-1, 6-4. At that position, Courter is now 13-2 on the season—she is 14-3 overall. Aria Lambert took control of her match at No. 5 singles after a hard-fought 7-5 first set win, sweeping Shannon Murdy with a 6-3 win in the second set.
To clinch the team victory, Jessika Mozia battled her way to a three-set win against Carolyn Chupa at No. 3, 6-2, 4-6, 7-5.
Pintusava dropped a three-set match at No. 2 to give Indiana its second point, but Maja Vujic put the Gophers to five with a super tiebreaker win over Paula Gutierrez at No. 6.
Minnesota hits the road next weekend after playing three of its last four matches at home. The Gophers will travel to No. 54 Ohio State and Penn State.
No. 63 Minnesota 5, No. 35 Indiana 2
March 30, 2014
Baseline Tennis Center | Minneapolis, Minn.
1. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) def. Katie Klyczek (IND) 6-4, 6-1
2. Sophie Garre (IND) def. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
3. Jessika Mozia (MINN) def. Carolyn Chupa (IND) 6-2, 4-6, 7-5
4. Julia Courter (MINN) def. Alecia Kauss (IND) 6-1, 6-4
5. Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Shannon Murdy (IND) 7-5, 6-3
6. Maja Vujic (MINN) def. Paula Gutierrez (IND) 5-7, 7-6 (8), 1-0 (7)
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 5, 3, 2, 6
1. Carolyn Chupa/Katie Klyczek (IND) def. Tereza Brichacova/Jessika Mozia (MINN) 8-4
2. Julia Courter/Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. Kayla Fujimoto/Alecia Kauss (IND) 8-4
3. Sophie Garre/Shannon Murdy (IND) def. Aria Lambert/Maja Vujic (MINN) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
Baseline Hosting US Open Sectional Qualifier
The Baseline Tennis Center is hosting a US Open Sectional Qualifier with six current Gopher tennis players participating.
Glenview Lantern Feature: Hometown Heroes
Caroline Ryba, Annemarie Emme and Alexandra Bergman were featured in the Glenview Lantern today.
Gophers Add Mancera
The University of Minnesota women's tennis team announced the addition of Barbara Mancera for the 2016-17 season.