March 30, 2013
The Minnesota women’s tennis team moved back to a .500 record mark this afternoon with a loss at the hands of No. 11 Northwestern. The Wildcats defeated the Gophers, 7-0, in Evanston, Ill., dropping the Maroon and Gold to an 8-8 overall record and a 2-2 rate in league action.
Northwestern’s doubles lineup was no match for the Gophers’ as the second and third positions quickly sealed the deal for the team point. At No. 2, Veronica Corning and Alicia Barnett finished first with an 8-0 downing of Yuliana Umanets and Alexa Palen. The third spot followed shortly after where Belinda Niu and Kate Turvy topped Paula Rincon Otero and Jessika Mozia, 8-1. Minnesota’s top pairing of Natallia Pintusava and Tereza Brichacova hung in with Northwestern’s No. 9-ranked duo, Linda Abu Mushrefova and Nida Hamilton, but only managed to gather a 6-6 score before the match was abandoned.
The Wildcats continued their dominance on the singles side, but the Gophers didn’t go down without a fight. Mozia and Brichacova each poured on the pressure to force their matches into three sets. Mozia started off slow and fell in the first set by a score of 6-1. She came back to win an extended second set but couldn’t hold onto the momentum and fell again in the third. Brichacova also battled back from a first-set loss (7-6 (8-6)) for an impressive win the in the second (6-1). However, she also fell in the final game to fall short of an individual point.
The team will remain in the state of Illinois for their second road competition of the weekend. The Gophers are set for a battle against the Fighting Illini tomorrow at 11 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
March 30, 2013
#11 Northwestern 7, Minnesota 0
1. #9 Abu Mushrefova/Hamilton (NU) vs. Pintusava/Brichacova (MINN) 6-6, abandoned
2. Corning/Barnett (NU) def. Umanets/Palen (MINN) 8-0
3. Turvy/Niu (NU) def. Rincon Otero/Mozia (MINN) 8-1
1. Kate Turvy (NU) def. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 6-4, 6-1
2. Belinda Niu (NU) def. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 7-6 (8-6), 1-6, 1-0 (10-0)
3. Veronica Corning (NU) def. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) 6-4, 6-4
4. Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Jessika Mozia (MINN) 6-1, 5-7, 6-2
5. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) def. Aria Lambert (MINN) 6-3, 6-0
6. Nida Hamilton (NU) def. Yuliana Umanets (MINN) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish
Doubles: 2, 3
Singles: 5, 1, 3, 6, 4, 2
Baseline Hosting US Open Sectional Qualifier
The Baseline Tennis Center is hosting a US Open Sectional Qualifier with six current Gopher tennis players participating.
Glenview Lantern Feature: Hometown Heroes
Caroline Ryba, Annemarie Emme and Alexandra Bergman were featured in the Glenview Lantern today.
Gophers Add Mancera
The University of Minnesota women's tennis team announced the addition of Barbara Mancera for the 2016-17 season.