March 28, 2014
MINNEAPOLIS – The No. 63 Minnesota women’s tennis team has its six-match win streak halted with a 4-3 loss to 46th-ranked Purdue Friday night at the Baseline Tennis Center. The loss dropped the Gophers’ record to 13-4 on the season with a 3-1 ledger in Big Ten play.
Prior to Friday’s defeat, Minnesota was off to its first 3-0 conference start to a season since 1999.
The Boilermakers nabbed the first point of the match by edging out the Gophers in the doubles point. Nicole Robinson Claudia Escribens and Mara Schmidt and Tess Bernard-Feigenbaum sandwiched wins at No. 3 and No. 1 doubles, respectively, around a Natallia Pintusava and Julia Courter victory at No. 2 to clinch the point.
Pintusava and Courter upped their record to 14-2 as a pair on the season.
Aria Lambert got Minnesota back on track in singles by claiming a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 5 before Natalia Davila regained the lead for Purdue with a win at No. 6. The Gophers jumped in front thanks to a Courter singles win at No. 4 and a Tereza Brichacova triumph at the top position, but the Boilermakers knotted the team score by taking a straight-set win at the second position.
The match came down to the only three-set tilt of the night between Jessika Mozia and Tess Bernard-Feigenbaum at No. 3. The two exchanged 7-5 set wins before Bernard-Feigenbaum pulled out a 6-1 win in the final set to earn the team win.
The Gophers will look to get back on track Sunday at 10 a.m. when they play 35th-ranked Purdue at the Baseline Tennis Center.
No. 46 Purdue 4, No. 63 Minnesota 3
March 28, 2014
Baseline Tennis Center | Minneapolis, Minn.
1. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) def. Daniela Vidal (PUR) 6-2, 6-2
2. Mara Schmidt (PUR) def. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 6-0, 6-2
3. Tess Bernard-Feigenbaum (PUR) def. Jessika Mozia (MINN) 5-7, 7-5, 6-1
4. Julia Courter (MINN) def. Nicole Robinson (PUR) 6-1, 6-2
5. Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Andjela Djokovic (PUR) 6-1, 6-1
6. Natalia Davila (PUR) def. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) 6-2, 6-3
1. Mara Schmidt/Tess Bernard-Feigenbaum (PUR) def. Tereza Brichacova/Jessika Mozia (MINN) 8-5
2. Natallia Pintusava/Julia Courter (MINN) def. Natalia Davila/Daniela Vidal (PUR) 8-3
3. Nicole Robinson/Claudia Escribens (PUR) def. Aria Lambert/Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) 8-3
Purdue 6-7 (2-2 B1G); National ranking #46
Minnesota 13-4 (3-1 B1G); National ranking #63
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,6,4,1,2,3)
Ryba Named to All-Big Ten Team
Caroline Ryba has been named to the All-Big Ten Team for her excellence this season, the conference announced Thursday.
Gophers Fall in B1G Tournament
Minnesota battled down to the wire but fell 4-1 to Wisconsin in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament this afternoon.
Gophers Ready for Border Battle Rematch
Minnesota made the Big Ten Tournament and will be the first match taking on Wisconsin Thursday at 10 a.m. at the Michigan State Tennis Facilities.