The Minnesota women’s tennis team had its nine-match win streak come to an end at No. 20 Michigan today. The No. 26 Gophers lost 6-1 as they suffered their first defeat since dropping a 5-2 match at home on Feb. 5 to then-No. 28 Washington.
The Gophers are now 12-2 overall, which is still their best start in school history, and 2-1 in the Big Ten.
Today’s loss was also Minnesota’s first setback on the road. The Gophers are now 6-1 away from the Twin Cities this year.
Michigan won matches at second and third doubles to win the doubles point, but the Gophers pulled a huge upset at No. 1 doubles. Natallia Pintusava and Magdalena Wiecha beat No. 7 Brooke Bolender and Emina Bektas 8-6 to hand the Michigan duo only their third loss of the season.
In singles, freshman Julia Courter picked up the lone win for the Gophers as she rallied to beat No. 106 Sam Crister 6-7 (6), 6-2, 1-0 (8).
Doron Muravnik was the only other Minnesota player to win a set against the Wolverines. She dropped a 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (6) decision to Sarah Lee at third singles.
The Gophers welcome No. 14 Northwestern to Baseline Tennis Center on March 30 before playing a home match against No. 50 Illinois on April 1.
Mar. 25, 2012
Varsity Tennis Center • Ann Arbor, Mich.
No. 20 Michigan 6, No. 26 Minnesota 1
1. No. 10 Emina Bektas (Mich) d. Natallia Pintusava (Minn), 6-1, 6-1
2. No. 64 Brooke Bolender (Mich) d. Alexa Palen (Minn), 7-5, 7-6 (3)
3. Sarah Lee (Mich) d. Doron Muravnik (Minn), 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (6)
4. No. 124 Mimi Nguyen (Mich) d. Tereza Brichacova (Minn), 6-2, 6-3
5. Julia Courter (Minn) d. No. 106 Sam Critser (Mich), 6-7 (6), 6-2, 1-0 (8)
6. Michelle Sulahian (Mich) d. Aria Lambert (Minn), 6-3, 6-3
1. Natallia Pintusava / Magdalena Wiecha (Minn) d. No. 7 Brooke Bolender/Emina Bektas (Mich), 8-6
2. Mimi Nguyen/Michelle Sulahian (Mich) d. Doron Muravnik / Alexa Palen (Minn), 8-6
3. Sarah Lee/Sam Critser (Mich) d. Tereza Brichacova / Julia Courter (Minn), 8-2
No. 26 Minnesota 12-2 (2-1 Big Ten)
No. 20 Michigan 10-5 (3-0 Big Ten)
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,6,4,3,2,5)
Gophers Compete at ITA Central Regionals
After a strong run, the University of Minnesota women’s tennis team had all remaining participants knocked out during the round of 16 at the ITA Central Regional Tournament in...
Ryba Advances to Round of 16
Caroline Ryba continued her run in the ITA Central Regional tournament in both doubles and singles with three victories on Friday.
Gophers Begin Play at ITA Regionals
The six Gophers that advanced in the singles draw only lost two sets combined. They will take on the round of 64 starting tomorrow.