The Minnesota women’s tennis team had its nine-match win streak come to an end at No. 20 Michigan today. The No. 26 Gophers lost 6-1 as they suffered their first defeat since dropping a 5-2 match at home on Feb. 5 to then-No. 28 Washington.
The Gophers are now 12-2 overall, which is still their best start in school history, and 2-1 in the Big Ten.
Today’s loss was also Minnesota’s first setback on the road. The Gophers are now 6-1 away from the Twin Cities this year.
Michigan won matches at second and third doubles to win the doubles point, but the Gophers pulled a huge upset at No. 1 doubles. Natallia Pintusava and Magdalena Wiecha beat No. 7 Brooke Bolender and Emina Bektas 8-6 to hand the Michigan duo only their third loss of the season.
In singles, freshman Julia Courter picked up the lone win for the Gophers as she rallied to beat No. 106 Sam Crister 6-7 (6), 6-2, 1-0 (8).
Doron Muravnik was the only other Minnesota player to win a set against the Wolverines. She dropped a 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (6) decision to Sarah Lee at third singles.
The Gophers welcome No. 14 Northwestern to Baseline Tennis Center on March 30 before playing a home match against No. 50 Illinois on April 1.
Mar. 25, 2012
Varsity Tennis Center • Ann Arbor, Mich.
No. 20 Michigan 6, No. 26 Minnesota 1
1. No. 10 Emina Bektas (Mich) d. Natallia Pintusava (Minn), 6-1, 6-1
2. No. 64 Brooke Bolender (Mich) d. Alexa Palen (Minn), 7-5, 7-6 (3)
3. Sarah Lee (Mich) d. Doron Muravnik (Minn), 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (6)
4. No. 124 Mimi Nguyen (Mich) d. Tereza Brichacova (Minn), 6-2, 6-3
5. Julia Courter (Minn) d. No. 106 Sam Critser (Mich), 6-7 (6), 6-2, 1-0 (8)
6. Michelle Sulahian (Mich) d. Aria Lambert (Minn), 6-3, 6-3
1. Natallia Pintusava / Magdalena Wiecha (Minn) d. No. 7 Brooke Bolender/Emina Bektas (Mich), 8-6
2. Mimi Nguyen/Michelle Sulahian (Mich) d. Doron Muravnik / Alexa Palen (Minn), 8-6
3. Sarah Lee/Sam Critser (Mich) d. Tereza Brichacova / Julia Courter (Minn), 8-2
No. 26 Minnesota 12-2 (2-1 Big Ten)
No. 20 Michigan 10-5 (3-0 Big Ten)
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,6,4,3,2,5)
Merzbacher Gets 400th Career Victory
The Courtside Classic comes to a close with the Gophers winning the consolation match over New Mexico 5-2 earning Coach Chuck Merzbacher his 400th career victory.
Gophers Battle at Courtside Classic
Courtside Classic day one is in the books with the Gophers falling 4-3 to DePaul. All three Gophers seniors pulled out singles wins on the day.
Gophers Bring Back Courtside Classic
The re-established Courtside Classic is set for this weekend as the Gophers host DePaul, Mississippi State and New Mexico.