March 24, 2012
Off to its best start in program history, the 26th-ranked Minnesota women's tennis team won its ninth consecutive match by defeating Michigan State 5-2 at the MSU Indoor Tennis Facility in East Lansing, Mich. on Saturday. The Gophers are now 12-1 in dual-match play with a 2-0 mark in the Big Ten.
Having lost five doubles point in its first 11 matches, Minnesota made sure not to give its opponent a 1-0 lead for the sixth time.
Doron Muravnik and Alexa Palen got things started with a quick 8-1 win over MSU's Marina Bohrer and Michaela Silesova at No. 2. At the top position, Natallia Pintusava and Magdalena Wiecha improved to 6-1 on the year and put their team in front by dispatching Nicole Herzog and Katarina Lingl 8-6.
Dana Guentert and Julianne Gruber of Michigan State closed out the competition at No. 3 with an 8-5 win.
In singles play, No. 116-ranked Palen took down Herzog in straight sets at No. 2 to extend the Minnesota lead and Muravnik did the same against Silesova at the four spot.
Palen is now 12-0 on the season.
Lingl defeated the Gophers' Julia Courter at No. 5 to keep her team alive, but Pintusava rallied to seal Minnesota's 12th win with a 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 triumph over Olga Chernova at No. 1.
The teams exchanged wins with Minnesota's Brichacova topping Bohrer in a match tiebreaker at No. 3 and the Spartans' Guentert defeating Aria Lambert in three sets at No. 6 to cap the scoring.
The Gophers are now 6-0 on the road. They are now 25-13 all-time against MSU and have won the last four meetings. Minnesota's nine-game winning steak is its longest since 2003.
After wrapping up play this weekend with a match against 20th-ranked Michigan on Sunday, the Gophers will play at home for the first time in 33 days as they host 14th-ranked Northwestern and No. 50 Illinois.
Mar. 24, 2012
MSU Indoor Tennis Facility • East Lansing, Mich.
No. 26 Minnesota 5, Michigan State 2
1. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. Olga Chernova (MSU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. No. 116 Alexa Palen (MINN) def. Nicole Herzog (MSU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) def. Marina Bohrer (MSU) 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (7)
4. Doron Muravnik (MINN) def. Michaela Silesova (MSU) 6-4, 7-5
5. Katarina Lingl (MSU) def. Julia Courter (MINN) 6-1, 7-6
6. Dana Guentert (MSU) def. Aria Lambert (MINN) 2-6, 7-6, 7-6
1. Natallia Pintusava / Magdalena Wiecha (MINN) def. Nicole Herzog/Katarina Lingl (MSU) 8-6
2. Doron Muravnik / Alexa Palen (MINN) def. Marina Bohrer/Michaela Silesova (MSU) 8-1
3. Dana Guentert/Julianne Gruber (MSU) def. Tereza Brichacova / Julia Courter (MINN) 8-5
No. 26 Minnesota 12-1 (2-0 Big Ten)
Michigan State 8-5 (0-2 Big Ten)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,4,5,1,3,6)
Gophers Named to ITA All-Academic Team
The University of Minnesota women’s tennis team was named a 2016 Intercollegiate Association (ITA) All-Academic team.
Gophers Headline 21st Aquatennial
The University of Minnesota had a combination of 17 former and current Gopher student-athletes who competed at the 21st Aquatennial Tennis Classic this past week.
Gophers Competitive in ITA Summer Circuit
The Gophers continued their strong summer this past weekend at the ITA Summer Circuit hosted by Purdue University.