March 24, 2012
Off to its best start in program history, the 26th-ranked Minnesota women's tennis team won its ninth consecutive match by defeating Michigan State 5-2 at the MSU Indoor Tennis Facility in East Lansing, Mich. on Saturday. The Gophers are now 12-1 in dual-match play with a 2-0 mark in the Big Ten.
Having lost five doubles point in its first 11 matches, Minnesota made sure not to give its opponent a 1-0 lead for the sixth time.
Doron Muravnik and Alexa Palen got things started with a quick 8-1 win over MSU's Marina Bohrer and Michaela Silesova at No. 2. At the top position, Natallia Pintusava and Magdalena Wiecha improved to 6-1 on the year and put their team in front by dispatching Nicole Herzog and Katarina Lingl 8-6.
Dana Guentert and Julianne Gruber of Michigan State closed out the competition at No. 3 with an 8-5 win.
In singles play, No. 116-ranked Palen took down Herzog in straight sets at No. 2 to extend the Minnesota lead and Muravnik did the same against Silesova at the four spot.
Palen is now 12-0 on the season.
Lingl defeated the Gophers' Julia Courter at No. 5 to keep her team alive, but Pintusava rallied to seal Minnesota's 12th win with a 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 triumph over Olga Chernova at No. 1.
The teams exchanged wins with Minnesota's Brichacova topping Bohrer in a match tiebreaker at No. 3 and the Spartans' Guentert defeating Aria Lambert in three sets at No. 6 to cap the scoring.
The Gophers are now 6-0 on the road. They are now 25-13 all-time against MSU and have won the last four meetings. Minnesota's nine-game winning steak is its longest since 2003.
After wrapping up play this weekend with a match against 20th-ranked Michigan on Sunday, the Gophers will play at home for the first time in 33 days as they host 14th-ranked Northwestern and No. 50 Illinois.
Mar. 24, 2012
MSU Indoor Tennis Facility • East Lansing, Mich.
No. 26 Minnesota 5, Michigan State 2
1. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. Olga Chernova (MSU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. No. 116 Alexa Palen (MINN) def. Nicole Herzog (MSU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) def. Marina Bohrer (MSU) 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (7)
4. Doron Muravnik (MINN) def. Michaela Silesova (MSU) 6-4, 7-5
5. Katarina Lingl (MSU) def. Julia Courter (MINN) 6-1, 7-6
6. Dana Guentert (MSU) def. Aria Lambert (MINN) 2-6, 7-6, 7-6
1. Natallia Pintusava / Magdalena Wiecha (MINN) def. Nicole Herzog/Katarina Lingl (MSU) 8-6
2. Doron Muravnik / Alexa Palen (MINN) def. Marina Bohrer/Michaela Silesova (MSU) 8-1
3. Dana Guentert/Julianne Gruber (MSU) def. Tereza Brichacova / Julia Courter (MINN) 8-5
No. 26 Minnesota 12-1 (2-0 Big Ten)
Michigan State 8-5 (0-2 Big Ten)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,4,5,1,3,6)