March 22, 2013
The Minnesota women’s tennis team improved to 8-6 on the season, 2-0 in Big Ten with a rousing 6-1 victory over Michigan State. After a week away for spring break competition, the Gophers returned to their home courts at Baseline Tennis Center in Minneapolis, Minn. to resume conference play against the Spartans.
The Maroon and Gold swept all three of the doubles matches to start the night off on the right foot. Jessika Mozia and Alexa Palen teamed up at the third position and finished first with their 8-4 defeat of Emily Meyers and Julianne Gruber. The Spartans made the Gophers work for the team point. At the second position, Tereza Brichacova and Doron Muravnik battled Nicole Herzog and Michaela Silesova to a tight 9-7 finish. Natallia Pintusava and Paula Rincon Otero pushed Marina Bohrer and Catherine Parenteau to a 9-8 score to close out the doubles competition.
Minnesota made it a near-full sweep, winning 5 of 6 matches on the singles side. Pintusava met Boher at No. 1 and came away with the 6-2, 6-3 victory. Brichacova took on Olga Chernova to a 7-5, 6-3 score at the second position.
Rincon Otero pushed through a tiebreaker in the second set to tally the two-set victory. She defeated Catherine Parenteau by scores of 6-3, 7-6 (5).
Mozia and Aria Lambert also tallied two-set wins at the fourth and fifth positions, respectively. Mozia bested Meyers (6-3, 6-3), while Lambert topped Herzog (6-2, 6-2).
Michigan State’s only point of the night came at the No. 6 position where Silesova edged Muravnik. As the only three-set match in the team battle, the girls split the first two sets and settled the decision in the tiebreaker third. Silesova narrowly came out on top, winning 1-6, 6-4, 1-0 (9) over Muravnik.
The team will close out the weekend with a match on Sunday. The unranked Minnesota Gophers will be tested by the No. 9 Michigan Wolverines in an 11 a.m. battle at Baseline.
Tennis Match Results
March 22, 2013
Baseline Tennis Center
Minnesota 6, Michigan State 1
1. Pintusava/Rincon Otero (MINN) def. Bohrer/Parenteau (MSU), 9-8
2. Brichacova/Muravnik (MINN) def. Herzog/Silesova (MSU), 9-7
3. Mozia/Palen (MINN) def. Meyers/Gruber (MSU), 8-4
1. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. Marina Bohrer (MSU), 6-2, 6-3
2. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) def. Olga Chernova (MSU), 7-5, 6-3
3. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) def. Catherine Parenteau (MSU), 6-3, 7-6 (5)
4. Jessika Mozia (MINN) def. Emily Meyers (MSU), 6-3, 6-3
5. Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Nicole Herzog (MSU), 6-2, 6-2
6. Michaela Silesova (MSU) def. Doron Muravnik (MINN), 1-6, 6-4, 1-0 (9)