March 21, 2014
MINNEAPOLIS - The Minnesota women's tennis team made a triumphant return to Big Ten play by downing 65th-ranked Iowa, 6-1, at the Baseline Tennis Center Friday afternoon. The Gophers took two of three doubles matches and five of six singles matches to improve to 12-3 on the season and 2-0 in Big Ten play.
"It was an Incredibly tough match," said Golden Gopher head coach Chuck Merzbacher. "We are playing tough throughout our matches--this is tough and focused group."
In 58 all-time meetings with Iowa, Minnesota is now 36-22. The Gophers are 8-2 at home this season and are 16-5 in Minneapolis under second-year head coach Chuck Merzbacher.
After falling behind with a loss at No. 1 doubles, the Gophers stormed back to steal the first point of the match when Aria Lambert and Paula Rincon Otero dispatched Ellen Silver and Aimee Tarun of Iowa, 8-2, and Julia Courter and Natallia Pintusava emerged victorious against Annette Dohanics and Shelby Talcott at No. 2, 8-6.
Courter put the Gophers up 2-0 by improving to 11-3 on the year with a 6-3, 6-2 win at the four spot. No. 86 Ruth Seaborne cut Minnesota's lead in half by taking down Tereza Brichacova at No. 1, but Lambert got her 11th win of the season in straight sets to make it a 3-1 match.
Rincon Otero sealed the victory by rallying back from a 6-4 first-set loss to win 4-6, 6-0, 6-3 at No. 6. Following Rincon Otero's lead, Pintusava and Jessika Mozia capped the afternoon with three-set comeback wins of their own at Nos. 2 and 3, respectively.
The Gophers continue play at 10 a.m. Sunday when they head to Lincoln, Neb. to face Nebraska.
Minnesota 6, No. 65 Iowa 1
March 21, 2014
Baseline Tennis Center | Minneapolis, Minn.
1. No. 86 Ruth Seaborne (IOWA) def. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 6-3, 6-0
2. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. Morven McCullough (IOWA) 3-6, 6-0, 6-4
3. Jessika Mozia (MINN) def. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) 2-6, 7-5, 7-6 (4)
4. Julia Courter (MINN) def. Annette Dohanics (IOWA) 6-3, 6-2
5. Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Ellen Silver (IOWA) 6-4, 6-3
6. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) def. Aimee Tarun (IOWA) 4-6, 6-0, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 5, 6, 2, 3
1. Morven McCullough/Ruth Seaborn (IOWA) def. Tereza Brichacova/Jessika Mozia (MINN) 8-2
2. Julia Courter/Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. Annette Dohanics/Shelby Talcott (IOWA) 8-6
3. Aria Lambert/Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) def. Ellen Silver/Aimee Tarun (IOWA) 8-2
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
Gophers Hire Nick Kavelaris
Head coach Chuck Merzbacher announced on Thursday that Nick Kavelaris has joined the University of Minnesota women’s tennis coaching staff.
Gophers Named to ITA All-Academic Team
The University of Minnesota women’s tennis team was named a 2016 Intercollegiate Association (ITA) All-Academic team.
Gophers Headline 21st Aquatennial
The University of Minnesota had a combination of 17 former and current Gopher student-athletes who competed at the 21st Aquatennial Tennis Classic this past week.