March 18, 2013
After a week-long break from competition, the Minnesota women’s tennis team was back in action today in Orlando, Fla. The extra sun did the Gophers well as they defeated Connecticut by a score of 6-1 to improve to 7-6 overall on the season.
The Gophers kick-started the day by winning the doubles point against the Huskies. Natallia Pintusava and Paula Rincon Otero teamed up at the first position to defeat Abby McKeon and Lucy Nutting, 8-4. Yuliana Umanets and Alexa Palen secured the team point with an 8-0 victory over Jennifer Learmonth and Marie Gargiulo at the third position.
On the singles side, the Maroon and Gold took five of the six matches to dominate the overall score. Pintusava saw more success at No. 1, overcoming UCONN’s Maxene Weinberg (6-0, 6-3). Rincon Otero and Umanets also collected wins in singles play. Rincon Otero defeated Nutting (6-2, 6-3), while Umanets bested Gargiulo (6-3, 6-1) at No. 3 and No. 6, respectively. Jessika Mozia and Aria Lambert joined in on the action after sitting out during doubles. Mozia handled McKeon to a 6-3, 6-2 finish and Lambert easily put away her match against Natalie Robson (6-1, 6-1).
The Golden Gophers will make their way back to Minneapolis this coming weekend to return to Big Ten Conference play. Minnesota will host Michigan State on Friday at 5:00 p.m. and then welcome Michigan on Sunday at 11:00 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
Monday, March 18, 2013
Minnesota 6, Connecticut 1
1. Pintusava/Rincon Otero (MINN) def. McKeon/Nutting (UCONN), 8-4
2. Weinberg/Stosljevic (UCONN) def. Brichacova/Muravnik (MINN), 8-6
3. Umanets/Palen (MINN) def. Learmonth/Gargiulo (UCONN), 8-0
1. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. Maxene Weinberg (UCONN) 6-0, 6-3
2. Srna Stosljevi c (UCONN) def. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (8)
3. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) def. Lucy Nutting (UCONN) 6-2, 6-3
4. Jessika Mozia (MINN) def. Abby McKeon (UCONN) 6-3, 6-2
5. Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Natalie Robson (UCONN) 6-1, 6-1
6. Yuliana Umanets (MINN) def. Marie Gargiulo (UCONN) 6-3, 6-1
First Serve With Kalyssa Hall
Kalyssa Hall comes to the Gophers after winning two 4A state championships at Cherry Creek High School.
River Hart Signs With Minnesota
University of Minnesota head coach Chuck Merzbacher announced the signing of River Hart Tuesday.
First Serve With Tina Kreinis
Tina Kreinis has posted five singles match victories and seven doubles match wins this fall for the Gophers.