March 18, 2013
After a week-long break from competition, the Minnesota women’s tennis team was back in action today in Orlando, Fla. The extra sun did the Gophers well as they defeated Connecticut by a score of 6-1 to improve to 7-6 overall on the season.
The Gophers kick-started the day by winning the doubles point against the Huskies. Natallia Pintusava and Paula Rincon Otero teamed up at the first position to defeat Abby McKeon and Lucy Nutting, 8-4. Yuliana Umanets and Alexa Palen secured the team point with an 8-0 victory over Jennifer Learmonth and Marie Gargiulo at the third position.
On the singles side, the Maroon and Gold took five of the six matches to dominate the overall score. Pintusava saw more success at No. 1, overcoming UCONN’s Maxene Weinberg (6-0, 6-3). Rincon Otero and Umanets also collected wins in singles play. Rincon Otero defeated Nutting (6-2, 6-3), while Umanets bested Gargiulo (6-3, 6-1) at No. 3 and No. 6, respectively. Jessika Mozia and Aria Lambert joined in on the action after sitting out during doubles. Mozia handled McKeon to a 6-3, 6-2 finish and Lambert easily put away her match against Natalie Robson (6-1, 6-1).
The Golden Gophers will make their way back to Minneapolis this coming weekend to return to Big Ten Conference play. Minnesota will host Michigan State on Friday at 5:00 p.m. and then welcome Michigan on Sunday at 11:00 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
Monday, March 18, 2013
Minnesota 6, Connecticut 1
1. Pintusava/Rincon Otero (MINN) def. McKeon/Nutting (UCONN), 8-4
2. Weinberg/Stosljevic (UCONN) def. Brichacova/Muravnik (MINN), 8-6
3. Umanets/Palen (MINN) def. Learmonth/Gargiulo (UCONN), 8-0
1. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. Maxene Weinberg (UCONN) 6-0, 6-3
2. Srna Stosljevi c (UCONN) def. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (8)
3. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) def. Lucy Nutting (UCONN) 6-2, 6-3
4. Jessika Mozia (MINN) def. Abby McKeon (UCONN) 6-3, 6-2
5. Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Natalie Robson (UCONN) 6-1, 6-1
6. Yuliana Umanets (MINN) def. Marie Gargiulo (UCONN) 6-3, 6-1
Gophers Claw to 4-3 Win in Iowa City
4/20/2018 - W. Tennis
It was the bottom of the lineup that came up big for Minnesota (14-10, 6-4 Big Ten) in its 4-3 win over Iowa on the road.
No Place Like Home
4/19/2018 - W. Tennis
This season, the women have dominated in their pristine facility, going 12-2 on the spring season, the most wins since Baseline’s opening.
Minnesota Ready for Final Road Trip
4/18/2018 - W. Tennis
Minnesota (13-10, 5-4 Big Ten) will be on the road for the second straight weekend to take on Iowa and Nebraska.