March 18, 2013
After a week-long break from competition, the Minnesota women’s tennis team was back in action today in Orlando, Fla. The extra sun did the Gophers well as they defeated Connecticut by a score of 6-1 to improve to 7-6 overall on the season.
The Gophers kick-started the day by winning the doubles point against the Huskies. Natallia Pintusava and Paula Rincon Otero teamed up at the first position to defeat Abby McKeon and Lucy Nutting, 8-4. Yuliana Umanets and Alexa Palen secured the team point with an 8-0 victory over Jennifer Learmonth and Marie Gargiulo at the third position.
On the singles side, the Maroon and Gold took five of the six matches to dominate the overall score. Pintusava saw more success at No. 1, overcoming UCONN’s Maxene Weinberg (6-0, 6-3). Rincon Otero and Umanets also collected wins in singles play. Rincon Otero defeated Nutting (6-2, 6-3), while Umanets bested Gargiulo (6-3, 6-1) at No. 3 and No. 6, respectively. Jessika Mozia and Aria Lambert joined in on the action after sitting out during doubles. Mozia handled McKeon to a 6-3, 6-2 finish and Lambert easily put away her match against Natalie Robson (6-1, 6-1).
The Golden Gophers will make their way back to Minneapolis this coming weekend to return to Big Ten Conference play. Minnesota will host Michigan State on Friday at 5:00 p.m. and then welcome Michigan on Sunday at 11:00 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
Monday, March 18, 2013
Minnesota 6, Connecticut 1
1. Pintusava/Rincon Otero (MINN) def. McKeon/Nutting (UCONN), 8-4
2. Weinberg/Stosljevic (UCONN) def. Brichacova/Muravnik (MINN), 8-6
3. Umanets/Palen (MINN) def. Learmonth/Gargiulo (UCONN), 8-0
1. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. Maxene Weinberg (UCONN) 6-0, 6-3
2. Srna Stosljevi c (UCONN) def. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (8)
3. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) def. Lucy Nutting (UCONN) 6-2, 6-3
4. Jessika Mozia (MINN) def. Abby McKeon (UCONN) 6-3, 6-2
5. Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Natalie Robson (UCONN) 6-1, 6-1
6. Yuliana Umanets (MINN) def. Marie Gargiulo (UCONN) 6-3, 6-1
Merzbacher Gets 400th Career Victory
The Courtside Classic comes to a close with the Gophers winning the consolation match over New Mexico 5-2 earning Coach Chuck Merzbacher his 400th career victory.
Gophers Battle at Courtside Classic
Courtside Classic day one is in the books with the Gophers falling 4-3 to DePaul. All three Gophers seniors pulled out singles wins on the day.
Gophers Bring Back Courtside Classic
The re-established Courtside Classic is set for this weekend as the Gophers host DePaul, Mississippi State and New Mexico.