March 17, 2014
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The Minnesota women’s tennis team had a successful finish to its non-conference schedule Monday when it defeated Florida Gulf Coast, 6-1. The Gophers won twice in doubles and five times in singles to finish the 2014 regular season with a 10-3 record against non-Big Ten teams.
Now 11-3 overall, Minnesota is 4-0 on the road this year after going winless away from the Baseline Tennis Center in 2013.
Monday, the Gophers fell behind in the doubles point with a loss at No. 1, but rallied back with an 8-5 win at No. 3 by Aria Lambert and Paula Rincon Otero. Julia Courter and Natallia Pintusava polished off the first point of the match by improving to 11-2 on the year with an 8-5 win at No. 2.
Minnesota claimed the first four singles matches to finish to decide the match.
Rincon Otero started off with a straight-set triumph over Bettina Botha at No. 6 before her doubles partner, Lambert, did the same at No. 5 to make it 3-0. Pintusava sealed the win at No. 2 with a 6-0, 6-2 win Breana Stampfli.
Jessika Mozia added to the Gophers’ total at No. 3 with a 7-5, 6-4 win at No. 3. FGCU answered with a win at No. 4, but Tereza Brichacova capped the score with a 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (3) supertiebreaker win against Sarah Means.
The Gophers, 1-0 in league contests after a March 2 win over Wisconsin, resume conference action Friday with they host Iowa at the Baseline Tennis Center at 3 p.m. They travel to Nebraska Sunday for their third Big Ten match.
Minnesota 6, Florida Gulf Coast 1
March 17, 2014
FGCU Tennis Complex | Fort Myers, Fla.
1. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) def. Sarah Means (FGCU) 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (3)
2. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. Breana Stampfli (FGCU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Jessika Mozia (MINN) def. Johanna Sterkel (FGCU) 7-5, 6-4
4. Candela Munoz Giron (FGCU) def. Julia Courter (MINN) 7-6 (5), 6-4
5. Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Elizabeth Means (FGCU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) def. Bettina Botha (FGCU) 6-3, 6-3
1. Sarah Means/Elizabeth Means (FGCU) def. Tereza Brichacova/Jessika Mozia (MINN) 8-6
2. Julia Courter/Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. Bettina Botha/Johanna Sterkel (FGCU) 8-5
3. Aria Lambert/Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) def. Gyanna Mandic/Candela Munoz Giron (FGCU) 8-5
Florida Gulf Coast: 7-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,5,2,3,4,1)
Gophers Wrap Up Fall Season
Ryba, Safdar and Vujic wrapped up the Gophers fall season this weekend at the Thunderbird Invitational with Vujic picking up two singles wins.
Gophers Add Bihel, Kreinis
Minnesota has signed two student-athletes to National Letter of Intents for the 2016-17 season.
Minne-Tennis Tips: Finishing Your Shot
Check out the latest Minne-Tennis Tip With Chuck Merzbacher as he teaches you how to finish your shot.