March 8, 2014
MILWAUKEE – The Minnesota women’s tennis team won its third match in a row Saturday morning, taking down Marquette, 6-1, on the road at the Helfaer Tennis Stadium.
“This was another hard fought road win,” said Minnesota head “The team stepped up at crucial times throughout the doubles point and in singles play—it was win for the Gophers.”
The Gophers are now 10-3 on the season and, a season removed from going winless on the road, are 3-0 in matches away from the Baseline Tennis Center.
After falling behind in the doubles competition with a rare loss at No. 2, Tereza Brichacova and Jessika Mozia began the Gophers’ rally with an 8-4 win at No. 1. Aria Lambert and Paula Rincon Otero then gave the Maroon and Gold a 1-0 lead with a win at No. 3 by the same score.
In singles, Lambert extended the Gophers’ lead with a straight-set win at No. 5. The Golden Eagles answered when Ali Dawson beat Natallia Pintusava at No. 2.
Julia Courter put Minnesota on the brink of victory with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Vanessa Foltinger at No. 4 and Mozia sealed the win by claiming a 6-4, 4-6, 6-1 win at the No. 3 spot.
Minnesota capped the scoring with three-set victories at the Nos. 1 and 6 positions by Brichacova and Rincon Otero, respectively.
The Gophers resume play March 17 when they head to Fort Myers, Fla. to take on Florida Gulf Coast in their final non-conference match of the season.
Minnesota 6, Marquette 1
March 8, 2014
Helfaer Tennis Stadium | Milwaukee, Wis.
1. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) def. Ana Pimienta (MARQ) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
2. Ali Dawson (MARQ) def. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 6-2, 6-2
3. Jessika Mozia (MINN) def. Erin Gebes (MARQ) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
4. Julia Courter (MINN) def. Vanessa Foltinger (MARQ) 6-2, 6-3
5. Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Laia Hernandez Soler (MARQ) 6-1, 6-2
6. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) def. Aina Hernandez Soler (MARQ) 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 5, 2, 4, 3, 1, 6
1. Tereza Brichacova/Jessika Mozia (MINN) def. Ana Pimienta/Aina Hernandez Soler (MARQ) 8-4
2. Rocio Diaz/Erin Gebes (MARQ) def. Julia Courter/Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 8-5
3. Aria Lambert/Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) def. Aleeza Kanner/Laia Hernandez Soler (MARQ) 8-4
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
Gophers Look to Upend No. 24 Mississippi State
The University of Minnesota women’s tennis team looks to continue their winning ways Tuesday as they travel to Starkville, Miss. to take on No. 24 Mississippi State.
Gophers Secure Two Wins in a Two-Match Day
Gophers overpower both Memphis and South Dakota to sweep the day, 4-3 and 7-0 respectively
Gophers Bested by Missouri
The Gophers drop their first match of the weekend to the Missouri Tigers, 4-1