Updated Season Stats
The turnaround season for the Minnesota women’s tennis team continues.
The Gophers began their Big Ten season with a 5-2 Border Battle win against rival Wisconsin. Minnesota has now won six straight matches and is 9-1 this season. The Gophers won eight total match a year ago.
Wisconsin won the doubles point, winning at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles to take a 1-0 lead. The scene was reminiscent of Minnesota’s two road wins earlier this year at North Carolina State and Wake Forest.
In both those match, the Gophers dropped the doubles point but rebounded to win five of six matches in singles play.
Freshman Julia Courter got things going for the Gophers at fourth singles, as she quickly handed Sarah Loebel 6-3, 6-0. Courter is now 6-2 during the spring season and 4-1 at No. 4.
The Badgers grabbed a 2-1 lead after Yuliana Umanets lost 6-3, 6-0 to Alaina Trgovich at the third position, but then it was all Gophers.
Sophomore Natallia Pintusava leveled the match 2-2 with an efficient 6-4, 6-3 win against Nicky Stracar at No. 1 singles. Freshman Tereza Brichacova then put Minnesota up for good with a 6-1, 7-5 win against Aleksandra Markovic at the sixth spot.
Alexa Palen secured the win for Minnesota improved to 9-0 during the spring season with a 7-5, 7-6 (7-3) versus Hannah Berner.
At fifth singles, junior Doron Muravnik lost the first set, but bounced back to beat Nova Patel 4-6, 7-6, 1-0 to complete the scoring.
Minnesota returns to action on March 15 when they travel to Tulane. They will also face LSU on the road on March 17.
March 4, 2012
Nielsen Tennis Stadium • Madison, Wis.
No. 31 Minnesota 5, No. 61 Wisconsin 2
1. Natallia Pintusava (Minn) def. Nicky Stracar (UW), 6-4, 6-3
2. Alexa Palen (Minn) def. Hannah Berner (UW), 7-5, 7-6 (7-3)
3. Alaina Trgovich (UW) def. Yuliana Umanets (Minn.), 6-3, 6-0
4. Julia Courter (Minn) def. Sarah Loebel (UW), 6-3, 6-0
5. Doron Muravnik (Minn) def. Nova Patel (UW), 4-6, 7-6, 1-0
6. Tereza Brichacova (Minn) def. Aleksandra Markovic (UW), 6-1, 7-5
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 1, 6, 2, 5
1. Hannah Berner / Alaina Trgovich (UW) def. Alexa Palen / Yuliana Umanets (Minn.), 8-5
2. Natallia Pintusava / Magdalena Wiecha (Minn.)def. Angela Chupa / Aleksandra Markovic (UW), 8-4
3. Nicky Stracar / Nova Patel (UW) def. Tereza Brichacova / Julia Courter (Minn.), 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2