Feb. 24, 2013
The Minnesota women's tennis team opened Big Ten Conference play today with rousing success as the girls combined for a sweep over border battle rival Wisconsin.
The Gophers opened the day with the doubles competition where they notched their first team point, winning two of the three matches. Tereza Brichacova and Doron Muravnik finished first, defeating Katie Hoch and Ana Tripolskaya, 6-1, as the No. 2 doubles team. Paula Rincon Otero and Natallia Pintusava followed shortly after with a 6-2 downing of Lauren Chypyha and Lauren Burich at No. 1. The No. 3 position played out their match which went into a tiebreaker round. Jessika Mozia and Yuliana Umanets fought hard but ultimately fell to Hannah Berner and Helen Rabot by a score of 8-7 (9-7).
Minnesota bested Wisconsin on the singles side as well. The Maroon and Gold found early victories at the sixth, third, and fourth positions to put the team ahead 4-0, enough to be declared the winner. Muravnik defeated Rabot by a sweeping score of 6-0, 6-2. Rincon Otero and Mozia ended their matches nearly at the same time, nabbing two-set wins. Rincon Otero won over Hoch (6-1, 6-4), while Mozia bested Burich (6-3, 6-3).
As if that wasn’t enough, the remaining three singles matches were won by the Gophers as well, completing the sweep. Pintusava defeated Berner at the first position (6-3, 3-6, 1-0) and Aria Lambert bested Tripolskaya (3-6, 6-3, 1-0). Brichacova rounded out the domination with a 6-3, 2-6, 6-3 win over Chypyha.
After a few weeks off, the girls travel to Orlando, Fla. on March 18 for a meeting with Connecticut.
Tennis Match Results
February 24, 2013
Baseline Tennis Center
#65 Minnesota 7, Wisconsin 0
1. Rincon Otero/Pintusava (MINN) def. Chypyha/Burich (WIS), 8-2
2. Brichacova/Muravnik (MINN) def. Hoch/Tripolskaya (WIS), 8-1
3. Berner/Rabot (WIS) def. Mozia/Umanets (MINN), 8-7 (9-7)
1. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. Hannah Berner (WIS) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (10)
2. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) def. Lauren Chypyha (WIS) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
3. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) def. Katie Hoch (WIS) 6-1, 6-4
4. Jessika Mozia (MINN) def. Lauren Burich (WIS) 6-3, 6-3
5. Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Ana Tripolskaya (WIS) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-1)
6. Doron Muravnik (MINN) def. Helen Rabot (WIS) 6-0, 6-2
Order of Finish
Comeback Falls Short for Gophers
No. 8 seeded Minnesota fell in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament to No. 9 seeded Nebraska, 4-3, after falling in the final set Thursday in Urbana, Ill.
Minnesota Finishes Regular Season with a Win
The University captured a 6-1 victory over Rutgers Sunday in their final regular season match of the season.
Ryba Extends Winning Streak as Gophers Fall
The University of Minnesota fell 5-2 in their second to last regular season match Friday to Maryland.