Feb. 22, 2013
Minnesota beat Mississippi State 4-3 on Friday night at Baseline Tennis Center to post its third straight win. The Gophers are now 5-6 on the year and host Wisconsin at 12 p.m. on Sunday in a Border Battle.
Minnesota dropped its match at No. 1 doubles before rallying to win at the second and third position to claim the deciding doubles point. Tereza Brichacova and Doron Muravnik posted an 8-6 win against Lien Van Geel and Sarai Flores at the second slot to record Minnesota's first win.
"It was a hard-fought win over a good SEC team. You know it's going to be tough any time you play an SEC team," said Minnesota coach Chuck Merzbacher. "The doubles matches ended up being the decider."
In singles, the Gophers raced out to wins at the second, four and sixth positions to guarantee victory in the dual match with the needed four points. Mozia put Minnesota ahead 2-0 with an efficient 6-1, 6-3 win against Petra Ferancova, while Muravnik stretch the Gophers’ lead to 3-0 after a 7-5, 6-2 win against Flores.
Brichacova then locked down Minnesota's fifth win this year with a 6-4, 6-4 win against Patrasc at No. 2 singles.
Natalia Pintusava (No. 1 singles), Paula Rincon-Otero (No. 3) and Aria Lambert (No. 5) all fell in singles play for the Gophers. Lambert lost 7-6, 6-4, while Pintusava and Rincon-Otero dropped three-set decisions.
Feb. 22, 2013
Minnesota 4, Mississippi State 3
Baseline Tennis Center
1. Perper/Tran (MSU) def. Pintusava/Rincon-Otero (MINN), 8-4
2. Brichacova/Muravnik (MINN) def. Van Geel/Flores (MSU), 8-6
3. Mozia/Umanets (MINN) def. Patrasc/Dion (MSU), 8-6
1. Alexandra Perper (MSU) def. Natallia Pintusava (MINN), 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
2. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) def. Georgiana Patrasc (MSU), 6-4, 6-4
3. Naomi Tran (MSU) def. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN), 6-1, 1-6, 6-1
4. Jessika Mozia (MINN) def. Petra Ferancova (MSU), 6-1, 6-3
5. Lien Van Geel (MSU) def. Aria Lambert (MINN), 7-6, 6-4
6. Doron Muravnik (MINN) def. Sarai Flores (MSU), 7-5, 6-2
Order Of Finish
Doubles: 1, 2, 3
Singles: 4, 6, 2, 5, 3, 1
Merzbacher Gets 400th Career Victory
The Courtside Classic comes to a close with the Gophers winning the consolation match over New Mexico 5-2 earning Coach Chuck Merzbacher his 400th career victory.
Gophers Battle at Courtside Classic
Courtside Classic day one is in the books with the Gophers falling 4-3 to DePaul. All three Gophers seniors pulled out singles wins on the day.
Gophers Bring Back Courtside Classic
The re-established Courtside Classic is set for this weekend as the Gophers host DePaul, Mississippi State and New Mexico.