Feb. 16, 2014
The University of Minnesota women's tennis team bounced back from a Saturday loss to No. 25 Oklahoma State with a resounding 6-1 win against Oregon at Baseline Tennis Center.
"The team dug down and got tough at some crucial moments in this match," said Minnesota coach Chuck Merzbacher. "There was some very clutch play and it was a good win for the Golden Gophers today."
The Gophers, who are 6-2 overall and 5-1 at home, won the doubles point to claim a 1-0 lead in the match. Minnesota's top two doubles teams both posted close wins to secure the point. Oregon won the first doubles match at the third position, but the pairing of Natallia Pintusava and Julia Courter got Minnesota on the board with an 8-7 (3) win against Marlou Kluiving and Lina Akesson.
The Gophers, carrying the momentum from their doubles play, won the first five matches in singles play en route to the 6-1 romp.
Aria Lambert got things started for the home team with a quick 6-1, 6-2 win against Akesson at the sixth position. Pintusava put Minnesota up 3-0 with a 6-3, 6-4 win against Minor at No. 2 singles.
Paula Rincon Otero secured the matched for Minnesota and made it 4-0 with a 6-3, 7-5 win against Lana Buttner at No. 5 singles. Courter quickly followed with a 7-5, 6-2 triumph at fourth singles. Mozia rounded out the scoring for Minnesota with a 4-6, 7-6 (1), 1-0 (5) victory versus Minor at second singles.
Oregon claimed its only point of the day when Long, who is ranked No. 119, rallied to top Brichacova 6-7 (4), 7-5, 1-0 (5) at first singles.
Minnesota returns to action on Feb. 21 when it hosts Iowa State. The Gophers then welcome both Marshall and Carleton College to Baseline Tennis Center on Feb. 23 before beginning the Big Ten season at Wisconsin on March 2.
Minnesota 6, Oregon 1
February 16, 2014
Baseline Tennis Center • Minneapolis, Minn.
1. No. 119 Nicole Long (UO) def. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 6-7 (4), 7-5, 1-0 (5)
2. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. Jasmine Minor (UO) 6-3, 6-4
3. Jessika Mozia (MINN) def. Marlou Kluiving (UO) 4-6, 7-6 (1), 1-0 (5)
4. Julia Courter (MINN) def. Sofia Hager (UO) 7-5, 6-2
5. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) def. Lana Buttner (UO) 6-3, 7-5
6. Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Lina Akesson (UO) 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6, 2, 5, 4, 3, 1
1. Tereza Brichacova / Jessika Mozia (MINN) def. Long/Minor (UO) 8-7 (2)
2. Natallia Pintusava / Julia Courter (MINN) def. Kluiving/Akesson (UO) 8-7 (3)
3. Buttner/Hager (UO) def. Aria Lambert / Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
Gophers Wrap Up Fall Season
Ryba, Safdar and Vujic wrapped up the Gophers fall season this weekend at the Thunderbird Invitational with Vujic picking up two singles wins.
Gophers Add Bihel, Kreinis
Minnesota has signed two student-athletes to National Letter of Intents for the 2016-17 season.
Minne-Tennis Tips: Finishing Your Shot
Check out the latest Minne-Tennis Tip With Chuck Merzbacher as he teaches you how to finish your shot.