Feb. 16, 2014
The University of Minnesota women's tennis team bounced back from a Saturday loss to No. 25 Oklahoma State with a resounding 6-1 win against Oregon at Baseline Tennis Center.
"The team dug down and got tough at some crucial moments in this match," said Minnesota coach Chuck Merzbacher. "There was some very clutch play and it was a good win for the Golden Gophers today."
The Gophers, who are 6-2 overall and 5-1 at home, won the doubles point to claim a 1-0 lead in the match. Minnesota's top two doubles teams both posted close wins to secure the point. Oregon won the first doubles match at the third position, but the pairing of Natallia Pintusava and Julia Courter got Minnesota on the board with an 8-7 (3) win against Marlou Kluiving and Lina Akesson.
The Gophers, carrying the momentum from their doubles play, won the first five matches in singles play en route to the 6-1 romp.
Aria Lambert got things started for the home team with a quick 6-1, 6-2 win against Akesson at the sixth position. Pintusava put Minnesota up 3-0 with a 6-3, 6-4 win against Minor at No. 2 singles.
Paula Rincon Otero secured the matched for Minnesota and made it 4-0 with a 6-3, 7-5 win against Lana Buttner at No. 5 singles. Courter quickly followed with a 7-5, 6-2 triumph at fourth singles. Mozia rounded out the scoring for Minnesota with a 4-6, 7-6 (1), 1-0 (5) victory versus Minor at second singles.
Oregon claimed its only point of the day when Long, who is ranked No. 119, rallied to top Brichacova 6-7 (4), 7-5, 1-0 (5) at first singles.
Minnesota returns to action on Feb. 21 when it hosts Iowa State. The Gophers then welcome both Marshall and Carleton College to Baseline Tennis Center on Feb. 23 before beginning the Big Ten season at Wisconsin on March 2.
Minnesota 6, Oregon 1
February 16, 2014
Baseline Tennis Center • Minneapolis, Minn.
1. No. 119 Nicole Long (UO) def. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 6-7 (4), 7-5, 1-0 (5)
2. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. Jasmine Minor (UO) 6-3, 6-4
3. Jessika Mozia (MINN) def. Marlou Kluiving (UO) 4-6, 7-6 (1), 1-0 (5)
4. Julia Courter (MINN) def. Sofia Hager (UO) 7-5, 6-2
5. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) def. Lana Buttner (UO) 6-3, 7-5
6. Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Lina Akesson (UO) 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6, 2, 5, 4, 3, 1
1. Tereza Brichacova / Jessika Mozia (MINN) def. Long/Minor (UO) 8-7 (2)
2. Natallia Pintusava / Julia Courter (MINN) def. Kluiving/Akesson (UO) 8-7 (3)
3. Buttner/Hager (UO) def. Aria Lambert / Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
First Serve With Cammy Frei
Cammy Frei comes to Minnesota from New Tier High School in Winnetka, Ill. The three-time all-state honoree and state scholar plans to earn a degree in engineering while at Minnesota.
First Serve With Kalyssa Hall
Kalyssa Hall comes to the Gophers after winning two 4A state championships at Cherry Creek High School.
River Hart Signs With Minnesota
University of Minnesota head coach Chuck Merzbacher announced the signing of River Hart Tuesday.