Feb. 14, 2014
The Minnesota women’s tennis team dropped a match for the second time this season Friday night at the Baseline Tennis Center, falling to No. 29 Oklahoma State, 7-0. The Cowgirls dropped the Gophers’ 2014 record to 5-2.
With the loss, Minnesota dipped to 12-4, including a 4-1 mark this year, at home under second-year head coach Chuck Merzbacher.
“We fought back in a lot of second sets which makes me quite proud,” Merzbacher said. “I give credit to OSU—they are strong and powerful squad.”
For the first time all season, the Gophers fell in doubles. Previously 16-0 in dual match doubles, Minnesota lost at No. 1 and No. 3 to kick off the match, giving the Cowgirls a 1-0 lead.
Carla Tur Mari of Oklahoma State started singles play by defeating Aria Lambert, 6-4, 6-1. No. 64-rnaked Megan McCray made it 3-0 by downing Natallia Pintusava in straight sets at No. 2 before 88th-ranked Kanyapat Narattana dispatched Jessika Mozia at No. 3 to clinch the team win.
Oklahoma State completed the sweep with wins at Nos. 1, 6, and 4. Paula Rincon Otero and Julia Courter each lost her first match of the season.
The Gophers get back to action Sunday morning at 11 when they take on Oregon at the Baseline Tennis Center.
No. 29 Oklahoma State 7, Minnesota 0
February 14, 2014
Baseline Tennis Center | Minneapolis, Minn.
1. Viktoriya Lushkova (OKST) def. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 6-2, 6-3
2. No. 64 Megan McCray (OKST) def. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 6-1, 6-3
3. No. 88 Kanyapat Narattana (OKST) def. Jessika Mozia (MINN) 6-2, 6-4
4. Katarina Adamovic (OKST) def. Julia Courter (MINN) 5-7, 6-3, 1-0 (4)
5. Carla Tur Mari (OKST) def. Aria Lambert (MINN) 6-4, 6-1
6. Karyn Guttormsen (OKST) def. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) 6-1, 5-7, 1-0 (6)
Order of Finish: 5, 2, 3, 1, 6, 4
1. Viktoriya Lushkova/Narattan (OKST) def. Tereza Brichacova/Jessika Mozia (MINN) 8-1
2. Carla Tur Mari/Maria Alvarez (OKST) def. Natallia Pintusava/Julia Courter (MINN) unfinished
3. Katarina Adamovic/Karyn Guttormsen (OKST) def. Aria Lambert/Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) 8-3
Order of Finish: 1, 3
Gophers Compete in US Open Qualifier
Six University of Minnesota tennis student-athletes and head coach Chuck Merzbacher competed in the US Open Sectional Qualifier, this weekend at the Baseline Tennis Center.
Baseline Hosting US Open Sectional Qualifier
The Baseline Tennis Center is hosting a US Open Sectional Qualifier with six current Gopher tennis players participating.
Glenview Lantern Feature: Hometown Heroes
Caroline Ryba, Annemarie Emme and Alexandra Bergman were featured in the Glenview Lantern today.