Feb. 10, 2013
Today in Norman, Okla., the No. 41 Minnesota women’s tennis team suffered its sixth-consecutive loss this spring, falling 6-1 to the No. 43-ranked University of Oklahoma. With the loss, the Golden Gophers fall to 2-6 on the season. The Sooners improve to 3-2.
Oklahoma stole away the first point from the doubles draw. Minnesota’s No. 1 pair, Tereza Brichacova and Natallia Pintusava fell, 8-3, to Oklahoma’s No. 55 pairing of Whitney Ritchie and Hermon Bhrane. At No. 2, Jessika Mozia and Yuliana Umanets also saw defeat, falling 8-2 to Zita Engbroks and Whitney Wofford. The Maroon and Gold’s third doubles duo of Aria Lambert and Doron Muravnik held a 6-5 lead over Mia Lancaster and Abbi Melrose before the game was called.
Minnesota continued to struggle on the singles side of the competition as only one Gopher was able to pull out a win against the Sooner squad. Lambert was victorious at the fifth position, working through 7-6 tiebreaker in the first set and grabbing a 6-2 win in the second. All other Gopher competitors fell in straight sets. Against Zita Engbroks, Muravnik was outplayed in the first set but nearly tallied the comeback in the second. With the score 6-6, she suffered a 7-0 tiebreak to drop the overall match, 7-6.
The Gophers are excited to return to home court next weekend for their second doubleheader of the season. Minnesota welcomes Northern Iowa and Carleton to Baseline Tennis Center for 2 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. matches, respectively.
Tennis Match Results
No. 43 Oklahoma 6, No. 41 Minnesota 1
Feb. 10, 2013
Gregg Wadley Indoor Tennis Pavilion
1. No. 55 Whitney Ritchie/Hermon Brhane (OU) def. Natalia Pintusava/Tereza Brichacova (Minn.), 8-3
2. Zita Engbroks/Whitney Wofford (OU) def. Jessika Mozia/Yuliana Umanets (Minn.), 8-2
3. Aria Lambert/Doron Muravnik (Minn.) vs. Mia Lancaster/Abbi Melrose (OU), DNF
1. No. 99 Hermon Brhane (OU) def. Natalia Pintusava (Minn.), 6-1, 6-2
2. Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. Tereza Brichacova (Minn.), 6-2, 6-4
3. Mia Lancaster (OU) def. Jessika Mozia (Minn.), 7-5, 6-1
4. Whitney Wofford (OU) def. Yuliana Umanets (Minn.), 6-0, 6-4
5. Aria Lambert (Minn.) def. Abbi Melrose (OU), 7-6, 6-2
6. Zita Engbroks (OU) def. Doron Muravnik (Minn.), 6-1, 7-6 (7-0)
Order of Finish
Doubles: 1, 2
Singles: 1, 4, 6, 3, 2, 5
Minnesota Finishes Regular Season with a Win
The University captured a 6-1 victory over Rutgers Sunday in their final regular season match of the season.
Ryba Extends Winning Streak as Gophers Fall
The University of Minnesota fell 5-2 in their second to last regular season match Friday to Maryland.
Gophers End Regular Season on East Coast
The University of Minnesota women's tennis team concludes their regular season play against Big Ten opponents Maryland and Rutgers this weekend. The matches will take place at 2 p.m. CT...