Feb. 9, 2013
No. 41 Minnesota saw defeat after competing against Oklahoma State this afternoon at The Greens Country Club in Oklahoma City, Okla.
Aria Lambert and Doron Muravnik opened the match with success for the Gophers. The two paired up for the No. 3 position of the doubles competition and defeated Maria Alvarez and Lorena Gheorghe, 8-4. Oklahoma State would win out the remaining matches to claim the doubles point for the Cowgirls. Malika Rose and Kanyapat Narattana defeated Natallia Pintusava and Tereza Brichacova, 8-5, while Meghan Blevins and Karyn Guttormsen defeated Yuliana Umanets and Jessika Mozia, 8-4.
Brichacova and Mozia came the closest to notching singles wins on behalf of the team. Both players managed to grab wins in the first sets against their respective opponents and in both cases, the remaining sets were pushed to tiebreaker situations. Brichacova dominated the first set against Blevins by a 6-1 score, but fell to close marks of 7-5 and 11-9 to garner the loss. Mozia had a similar experience against Maria Alvarez. After winning the first set 6-2, she dropped the next two by the same scores.
The Maroon and Gold will now return to Baseline Tennis Center for the next four matches. The team will host its second doubleheader of the season when it welcomes Northern Iowa and Carleton to Minneapolis on Saturday, Feb. 16. Matches will be played at 2 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
No. 42 Oklahoma State 7, No. 41 Minnesota 0
Feb. 9, 2013
Oklahoma City, Okla.
The Greens Country Club
1. Malika Rose/Kanyapat Narattana (OSU) def. Natallia Pintusava/Tereza Brichacova (UM) 8-5
2. Meghan Blevins/Karyn Guttormsen (OSU) def. Yuliana Umanets/Jessika Mozia (UM) 8-4
3. Aria Lambert/Doron Muravnik (UM) def. Maria Alvarez/Lorena Gheorghe (OSU) 8-4
1. Malika Rose (OSU) def. Natallia Pintusava (UM) 6-3, 6-3
2. Meghan Blevins (OSU) def. Tereza Brichacova (UM) 1-6, 7-5, 11-9
3. C.C. Sardinha (OSU) def. Yuliana Umanets (UM) 6-1, 6-1
4. Maria Alvarez (OSU) def. Jessika Mozia (UM) 2-6, 7-5, 11-9
5. Kanyapat Narattana (OSU) def. Aria Lambert (UM) 6-4, 6-0
6. Karyn Guttormsen (OSU) def. Doron Muravnik (UM) 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish
Doubles: 3, 2, 1
Singles: 3, 6, 5, 1, 4, 2
Gophers Hand Out Team Awards at Banquet
The University of Minnesota women’s tennis team held their team banquet Sunday where they handed out team awards and celebrated the season.
Ryba Earns All-Big Ten Honors
Caroline Ryba was named to the All-Big Ten Team for the second time in her collegiate career and was also named the team's Sportsmanship Award recipient.
Comeback Falls Short for Gophers
No. 8 seeded Minnesota fell in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament to No. 9 seeded Nebraska, 4-3, after falling in the final set.