Feb. 3, 2013
Minnesota women’s tennis fell to Virginia Tech, 5-2, on the road today in Blacksburg, Va. With the loss, the Gophers drop to 2-4 on the season.
A strong doubles showing gave Virginia Tech the team point early in the day. The Hokies nearly swept the competition to earn their fourth consecutive doubles round. Aria Lambert and Doron Muravnik were able to take a victory by downing Emily Lauten and Tea Ivanovic (8-7 (7-4)), but it was not enough as the other two Gopher pairs came up empty.
The Gophers grabbed two wins from the top positions against the Hokies. At No. 1 Natallia Pintusava defeated Ilinca Stoica in straight sets by scores of 7-5, 6-2. Tereza Brichacova pushed through a three set match to beat Isel Martinez-Marcos at the No. 2 position.
Jessika Mozia challenged at the No. 5 position against Carol Kalhoun. She won the first set by a score of 6-2, but fell short by the same mark in the second. She hung in tight in the third but ultimately fell to a 7-5 tiebreaker. Yuliama Umanets (3), Aria Lambert (4), and Doron Muravnik (6) also saw losses in the singles competition.
Women’s tennis remains on the road for one more set of matches before returning home. Next weekend the girls travel to play Oklahoma State on Feb. 9 and Oklahoma on Feb. 10.
Tennis Match Results
Virginia Tech 5, Minnesota 2
Feb 3, 2013 at Blacksburg, Va.
Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center
1. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. Ilinca Stoica (VT) 7-5, 6-2
2. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) 7-5, 0-6, 6-2
3. Raula Mita (VT) def. Yuliana Umanets (MINN) 7-5, 6-0
4. Kelly Williford (VT) def. Aria Lambert (MINN) 6-3, 6-0
5. Carol Kahoun (VT) def. Jessika Mozia (MINN) 2-6, 6-2, 7-5
6. Tea Ivanovic (VT) def. Doron Muravnik (MINN) 6-2, 6-3
1. Ilinca Stoica/Kelly Williford (VT) def. Natallia Pintusava/Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 8-5
2. Carol Kahoun/Raula Mita (VT) def. Yuliana Umanets/Jessika Mozia (MINN) 8-3
3. Aria Lambert/Doron Muravnik (MINN) def. Emily Lauten/Tea Ivanovic (VT) 8-7 (7-4)
Gophers Pick Up Two Wins
The University of Minnesota picked up their first two wins of the spring season by topping Northern Illinois University 7-0 and South Dakota State 7-0 Saturday at Baseline.
Gophers Start Dual Matches
The University of Minnesota women’s tennis team will begin their spring season Saturday with a 10 a.m. match versus Northern Illinois and a 5 p.m. match versus South Dakota State.
Gophers Finish Upper Midwest With 14 Wins
The final day of the Upper Midwest Intercollegiate at Baseline Tennis Center saw the University of Minnesota add three more singles wins and two doubles wins to their total.