Feb. 2, 2013
Continuing their road trip across the country, the Minnesota women's tennis team traveled to Blacksburg, Va. this weekend for a three-team competition featuring Louisville and host Virginia Tech. This afternoon the team faced off in the first of two matches when they took to the court against the Cardinals.
After continuing its impressive doubles play with two wins for the team point, Minnesota was able to add only one point from the singles competition, falling 4-2 on the day.
Tereza Brichacova and Natallia Pintusava defeated Julia Fellerhoff and Manuela Velasquez by a score of 8-7, while Jessika Mozia and Yuliana Umanets downed Mandy Brown and Stefanie Villajuan, 8-3, to make up the other half of the point earned. Mozia rode her success into singles play to gain the lone victory on behalf of her team by beating Villajuan in straight sets (6-3, 6-0).
Minnesota will stay in Blacksburg for one more day for tomorrow morning's bout against Virginia Tech. The Gophers will hit the court against the Hokies at 10 a.m. to continue the search for their first road win of the season. Follow along with live stats here.
Louisville 4, No. 41 Minnesota 2
February 2, 2013
Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center
1. #84 Julia Fellerhoff (LOUIS) def. Natallia Pintusava (MINN), 6-4, 6-3
2. #62 Rebecca Shine (LOUIS) def. Tereza Brichacova (MINN), 6-3, 6-0
3. Manuela Velasquez (LOUIS) vs. Yuliana Umanets (MINN), 6-2, 6-0
4. Mandy Brown (LOUIS) def. Aria Lambert (MINN), 6-4, 6-2
5. Jessika Mozia (MINN) def. Stefanie Villajuan (LOUIS), 6-3, 6-0
6. Rebecca Bodine (LOUIS) def. Doron Muravnik (MINN), 5-7, 5-2, unfinished
1. Brichacova/Pintusava (MINN) def. Fellerhoff/Velasquez (LOUIS), 8-7
2. Mozia/Umanets (MINN) def. Brown/Villajuan (LOUIS), 8-3
3. Shine/Bodine (LOUIS) def. Lambert/Muravnik (MINN), 8-3
Gophers Tap Thompson to Lead Women's Tennis
Catrina Thompson comes to Minnesota from Notre Dame, where prior to her coaching career she was a three-time All-American doubles player
Gophers Hand Out Team Awards at Banquet
The University of Minnesota women’s tennis team held their team banquet Sunday where they handed out team awards and celebrated the season.
Ryba Earns All-Big Ten Honors
Caroline Ryba was named to the All-Big Ten Team for the second time in her collegiate career and was also named the team's Sportsmanship Award recipient.