Feb. 2, 2014
MISSOULA, Mont. – The Minnesota women’s tennis team rebounded from its first loss of the season with a 7-0 victory over Montana in Missoula, Mont. Sunday morning. The Gophers improved to 5-1 on the young season and shutout its opponent for the fourth time this season in their first true road match of the year.
"I’m proud of this team rebounding against a very tough Montana team," said Minnesota head coach Chuck Merzbacher. "We are getting 'Minnesota Tough' each and everyday."
As was the case in the team’s previous five matches, the Gophers took the match’s first point by sweeping through doubles.
Natallia Pintusava and Julia Courter continued their hot start to the season as partners by taking down the Grizzlies’ Sasha Carter and Laurence Pelchat, 6-2, at the second position. At the first position, Tereza Brichacova and Jessika Mozia remained unbeaten with a triumph over Precious Gbadamosi and Haley Driver of the same score. Aria Lambert and Paula Rincon Otero were knotted at three with Ashley Mackey and Maddy Murray when their match was abandoned.
Six matches into the season, Minnesota has combined for a 16-0 record in dual-match doubles after finishing 32-32 in 2013.
No. 65-ranked Tereza Brichacova responded to her first loss of the season Saturday with a strong showing against two-time All-Big Sky standout Gbadamosi, defeating the junior 6-1, 6-4 to give the Gophers a 2-0 lead. Mozia put Minnesota on the brink of victory with a 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (6) win against Carter, and Courter, who won in both singles and doubles Saturday, sealed the win with a straight-set victory versus Pelchat.
To complete the 7-0 win, Pintusava survived a three-set affair with Driver at No. 2 and Lambert and Rincon Otero each came out on top in straight sets at Nos. 5 and 6, respectively.
The Gophers will pick up play after a week off Feb. 14 with a home match against Oklahoma State. The contest against the Cowgirls will kick off a five-match homestand.
Minnesota 7, Montana 0
February 2, 2014
Peak Racquet Club • Missoula, Mont.
Match duration: 3:36
1. No. 65 Tereza Brichacova (MINN) def. Precious Gbadamosi (MONT) 6-1, 6-4
2. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. Haley Driver (MONT) 6-4, 6-7 (3), 1-0 (5)
3. Jessika Mozia (MINN) def. Sasha Carter (MONT) 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (6)
4. Julia Courter (MINN) def. Laurence Pelchat (MONT) 6-1, 6-4
5. Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Ashley Mackey (MONT) 6-1, 6-3
6. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) def. Maddy Murray (MONT) 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 4*, 2, 5, 6
1. Tereza Brichacova/Jessika Mozia (MINN) def. Precious Gbadamosi/Haley Driver (MONT) 6-2
2. Natallia Pintusava/Julia Courter (MINN) def. Sasha Carter/Laurence Pelchat (MONT) 6-2
3. Aria Lambert/Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) vs. Ashley Mackey/Maddy Murray (MONT) 3-3 (unfinished)
Order of Finish: 2, 1*
Gopher Invite: Day 4
The University of Minnesota Golden Gophers finished strong after four days of competition at the Gopher Invitational at Baseline Tennis Center this weekend.
Gopher Invite: Day 3
The third day of the Gopher Invite saw some hard fought matches for the maroon and gold at Baseline Tennis Center as they won two doubles draws.
Gopher Invite: Day 2
The University of Minnesota women’s tennis team continued to play strong today, the second day of the Gopher Invitational at Baseline Tennis Center.