Feb. 1, 2014
MISSOULA, Mont. – After its first 4-0 start since 1997, the Minnesota women’s tennis team lost for the first time in 2014, dropping a tight, 4-3 decision to Washington State the Peak Racquet Club in Missoula, Mont. The neutral-site match was the Gophers’ first away from the Baseline Tennis Center and marked the first-ever meeting between the two teams. Both teams are now 4-1.
For the fifth consecutive match to begin the season, Minnesota won the doubles competition.
Natallia Pintusava and Julia Courter of Minnesota defeated WSU’s Maria Biryukova and Olga Musilovich, 6-2, before teammates Tereza Brichacova and Jessika Mozia took down the Cougars’ Elizaveta Luzina and Lize Leenknecht by the same score to give the Gophers a 1-0 lead.
After going 32-32 in dual-meet doubles matches in 2013, Minnesota has grabbed the first point in all five of its matches this season, going 14-0.
Courter cushioned the Gophers’ lead in singles with a straight-set win over Musilovich, 6-2, 6-1, but Washington State went on to reel off wins at Nos. 3, 1, 5, and 2 to claim the victory. Paula Rincon Otero capped the match by beating Charlotte Koning in a super-tiebreaker to remain unbeaten on the year.
The Gophers pick up play with a 10 a.m. (CT) match against Montana Sunday. The contest will be Minnesota’s first true road match of the season.
Washington State 4, Minnesota 3
February 1, 2014
Peak Racquet Club • Missoula, Mont.
Match duration: 2:30
1. Elizaveta Luzina (WSU) def. No. 65 Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 6-2, 6-2
2. Lize Leenknecht (WSU) def. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (4)
3. Maria Biryukova (WSU) def. Jessika Mozia (MINN) 6-3, 6-2
4. Julia Courter (MINN) def. Olga Musilovich (WSU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Dajana Ognjenovic (WSU) def. Aria Lambert (MINN) 4-6, 6-1, 1-0 (6)
6. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) def. Charlotte Koning (WSU) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (5)
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 1, 5, 2*, 6
1. Tereza Brichacova/Jessika Mozia (MINN) def. Elizaveta Luzina/Lize Leenknecht (WSU) 6-2
2. Natallia Pintusava/Julia Courter (MINN) def. Maria Biryukova/Olga Musilovich (WSU) 6-2
3. Aria Lambert/Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) led Charlotte Koning/Dajana Ognjenovic (WSU) 4-2 (unfinished)
Order of Finish: 2, 1*
Black History Month: Jessika Mozia
In honor of Black History Month, Gopher Athletics is celebrating those who made us great.
Gophers Tally Two Victories in Milwaukee
Minnesota takes a W against both Marquette and Milwaukee and improve to a 7-4 record
Minnesota Takes on Two Matches in Milwaukee
Minnesota will battle both Marquette and Milwaukee this Saturday. All three teams are coming off losses