Feb. 1, 2014
MISSOULA, Mont. – After its first 4-0 start since 1997, the Minnesota women’s tennis team lost for the first time in 2014, dropping a tight, 4-3 decision to Washington State the Peak Racquet Club in Missoula, Mont. The neutral-site match was the Gophers’ first away from the Baseline Tennis Center and marked the first-ever meeting between the two teams. Both teams are now 4-1.
For the fifth consecutive match to begin the season, Minnesota won the doubles competition.
Natallia Pintusava and Julia Courter of Minnesota defeated WSU’s Maria Biryukova and Olga Musilovich, 6-2, before teammates Tereza Brichacova and Jessika Mozia took down the Cougars’ Elizaveta Luzina and Lize Leenknecht by the same score to give the Gophers a 1-0 lead.
After going 32-32 in dual-meet doubles matches in 2013, Minnesota has grabbed the first point in all five of its matches this season, going 14-0.
Courter cushioned the Gophers’ lead in singles with a straight-set win over Musilovich, 6-2, 6-1, but Washington State went on to reel off wins at Nos. 3, 1, 5, and 2 to claim the victory. Paula Rincon Otero capped the match by beating Charlotte Koning in a super-tiebreaker to remain unbeaten on the year.
The Gophers pick up play with a 10 a.m. (CT) match against Montana Sunday. The contest will be Minnesota’s first true road match of the season.
Washington State 4, Minnesota 3
February 1, 2014
Peak Racquet Club • Missoula, Mont.
Match duration: 2:30
1. Elizaveta Luzina (WSU) def. No. 65 Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 6-2, 6-2
2. Lize Leenknecht (WSU) def. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (4)
3. Maria Biryukova (WSU) def. Jessika Mozia (MINN) 6-3, 6-2
4. Julia Courter (MINN) def. Olga Musilovich (WSU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Dajana Ognjenovic (WSU) def. Aria Lambert (MINN) 4-6, 6-1, 1-0 (6)
6. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) def. Charlotte Koning (WSU) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (5)
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 1, 5, 2*, 6
1. Tereza Brichacova/Jessika Mozia (MINN) def. Elizaveta Luzina/Lize Leenknecht (WSU) 6-2
2. Natallia Pintusava/Julia Courter (MINN) def. Maria Biryukova/Olga Musilovich (WSU) 6-2
3. Aria Lambert/Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) led Charlotte Koning/Dajana Ognjenovic (WSU) 4-2 (unfinished)
Order of Finish: 2, 1*
First Serve With Cammy Frei
Cammy Frei comes to Minnesota from New Tier High School in Winnetka, Ill. The three-time all-state honoree and state scholar plans to earn a degree in engineering while at Minnesota.
First Serve With Kalyssa Hall
Kalyssa Hall comes to the Gophers after winning two 4A state championships at Cherry Creek High School.
River Hart Signs With Minnesota
University of Minnesota head coach Chuck Merzbacher announced the signing of River Hart Tuesday.