The Minnesota women’s tennis team improved to 2-0 on the season with a 7-0 win against Creighton on Saturday afternoon at Baseline Tennis Center. The win follows up Minnesota’s 7-0 home win against Iowa State on Friday night.
Saturday’s match was the first-ever meeting between Minnesota and Creighton. With the victory, the Gophers also started a season with back-to-back shutout wins for the first time in program history.
Coach Tyler Thomson shook up his lineup a bit from Friday, but the 7-0 result proved to be the same. Minnesota staked an early 1-0 lead in the match by winning two of three matches in doubles.
Alexa Palen teamed with Tereza Brichacova to record an 8-2 win against Jennie Hartjes and Analese Snyder at No. 1 doubles. Doron Muravnik and Natallia Pintusava prevailed 8-4 at No. 2 doubles against Mary McMullan and Kelsey Schmidt. Pauline Gilbert and Elianna Kantar, who both made their season debuts against Creighton, were tripped up 8-4 in a loss to Amanda Noonan and Elizabeth Vermillion at third doubles.
Sophomore Yuliana Umanets played No. 1 singles for the first time in career and quickly posted a 6-2, 6-0 win against Hartjes. Julia Courter continued her strong play with a 6-1, 6-0 win at second singles with a 6-1, 6-0 win versus Snyder.
At third singles, Brichacova, who joined the team earlier this month, won 7-6 (4), 6-3 against Schmidt. Freshman Aria Lambert, who played sixth singles last night, won 6-2, 6-0 at the fourth position against Mary McMullan.
Emilie Renault, who did not play singles against Iowa State, triumphed 6-1, 6-1 against Vermillion at No. 5 singles. Gilbert won 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (9) against Taylor Koehrsen at the sixth spot.
The Gophers return to action next weekend when they host William & Mary and Washington. All home matches at Baseline Tennis Center are free and open to the public.
Jan. 28, 2012
Baseline Tennis Center (Minneapolis, Minn.)
Minnesota 7, Creighton 0
1. Yuliana Umanets (MINN) def. Jennie Hartjes (CU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Julia Courter (MINN) def. Analese Snyder (CU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) def. Kelsey Schmidt (CU) 7-6 (4), 6-3
4. Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Mary McMullan (CU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Emilie Renault (MINN) def. Elizabeth Vermillion (CU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Pauline Gilbert (MINN) def. Taylor Koehrsen (CU) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (9)
1. Alexa Palen/Tereza Brichacova (MINN) def. Jennie Hartjes/Analese Snyder (CU) 8-2
2. Doron Muravnik/Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. Mary McMullan/Kelsey Schmidt (CU) 8-4
3. Amanda Noonan/Elizabeth Vermillion (CU) def. Pauline Gilbert/Elianna Kantar (MINN) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,2,5,4,3,6)
First Serve With Cammy Frei
Cammy Frei comes to Minnesota from New Tier High School in Winnetka, Ill. The three-time all-state honoree and state scholar plans to earn a degree in engineering while at Minnesota.
First Serve With Kalyssa Hall
Kalyssa Hall comes to the Gophers after winning two 4A state championships at Cherry Creek High School.
River Hart Signs With Minnesota
University of Minnesota head coach Chuck Merzbacher announced the signing of River Hart Tuesday.