The Minnesota women’s tennis team improved to 2-0 on the season with a 7-0 win against Creighton on Saturday afternoon at Baseline Tennis Center. The win follows up Minnesota’s 7-0 home win against Iowa State on Friday night.
Saturday’s match was the first-ever meeting between Minnesota and Creighton. With the victory, the Gophers also started a season with back-to-back shutout wins for the first time in program history.
Coach Tyler Thomson shook up his lineup a bit from Friday, but the 7-0 result proved to be the same. Minnesota staked an early 1-0 lead in the match by winning two of three matches in doubles.
Alexa Palen teamed with Tereza Brichacova to record an 8-2 win against Jennie Hartjes and Analese Snyder at No. 1 doubles. Doron Muravnik and Natallia Pintusava prevailed 8-4 at No. 2 doubles against Mary McMullan and Kelsey Schmidt. Pauline Gilbert and Elianna Kantar, who both made their season debuts against Creighton, were tripped up 8-4 in a loss to Amanda Noonan and Elizabeth Vermillion at third doubles.
Sophomore Yuliana Umanets played No. 1 singles for the first time in career and quickly posted a 6-2, 6-0 win against Hartjes. Julia Courter continued her strong play with a 6-1, 6-0 win at second singles with a 6-1, 6-0 win versus Snyder.
At third singles, Brichacova, who joined the team earlier this month, won 7-6 (4), 6-3 against Schmidt. Freshman Aria Lambert, who played sixth singles last night, won 6-2, 6-0 at the fourth position against Mary McMullan.
Emilie Renault, who did not play singles against Iowa State, triumphed 6-1, 6-1 against Vermillion at No. 5 singles. Gilbert won 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (9) against Taylor Koehrsen at the sixth spot.
The Gophers return to action next weekend when they host William & Mary and Washington. All home matches at Baseline Tennis Center are free and open to the public.
Jan. 28, 2012
Baseline Tennis Center (Minneapolis, Minn.)
Minnesota 7, Creighton 0
1. Yuliana Umanets (MINN) def. Jennie Hartjes (CU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Julia Courter (MINN) def. Analese Snyder (CU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) def. Kelsey Schmidt (CU) 7-6 (4), 6-3
4. Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Mary McMullan (CU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Emilie Renault (MINN) def. Elizabeth Vermillion (CU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Pauline Gilbert (MINN) def. Taylor Koehrsen (CU) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (9)
1. Alexa Palen/Tereza Brichacova (MINN) def. Jennie Hartjes/Analese Snyder (CU) 8-2
2. Doron Muravnik/Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. Mary McMullan/Kelsey Schmidt (CU) 8-4
3. Amanda Noonan/Elizabeth Vermillion (CU) def. Pauline Gilbert/Elianna Kantar (MINN) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,2,5,4,3,6)
Minnesota Takes on Two Matches in Milwaukee
Minnesota will battle both Marquette and Milwaukee this Saturday. All three teams are coming off losses
Minnesota Falls to Mississippi State
Maja Vujic held the only singles win of the 5-2 loss for the Gophers, though the doubles point was clinched
Gophers Look to Upend No. 24 Mississippi State
The University of Minnesota women’s tennis team looks to continue their winning ways Tuesday as they travel to Starkville, Miss. to take on No. 24 Mississippi State.