The Minnesota women’s tennis team improved to 2-0 on the season with a 7-0 win against Creighton on Saturday afternoon at Baseline Tennis Center. The win follows up Minnesota’s 7-0 home win against Iowa State on Friday night.
Saturday’s match was the first-ever meeting between Minnesota and Creighton. With the victory, the Gophers also started a season with back-to-back shutout wins for the first time in program history.
Coach Tyler Thomson shook up his lineup a bit from Friday, but the 7-0 result proved to be the same. Minnesota staked an early 1-0 lead in the match by winning two of three matches in doubles.
Alexa Palen teamed with Tereza Brichacova to record an 8-2 win against Jennie Hartjes and Analese Snyder at No. 1 doubles. Doron Muravnik and Natallia Pintusava prevailed 8-4 at No. 2 doubles against Mary McMullan and Kelsey Schmidt. Pauline Gilbert and Elianna Kantar, who both made their season debuts against Creighton, were tripped up 8-4 in a loss to Amanda Noonan and Elizabeth Vermillion at third doubles.
Sophomore Yuliana Umanets played No. 1 singles for the first time in career and quickly posted a 6-2, 6-0 win against Hartjes. Julia Courter continued her strong play with a 6-1, 6-0 win at second singles with a 6-1, 6-0 win versus Snyder.
At third singles, Brichacova, who joined the team earlier this month, won 7-6 (4), 6-3 against Schmidt. Freshman Aria Lambert, who played sixth singles last night, won 6-2, 6-0 at the fourth position against Mary McMullan.
Emilie Renault, who did not play singles against Iowa State, triumphed 6-1, 6-1 against Vermillion at No. 5 singles. Gilbert won 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (9) against Taylor Koehrsen at the sixth spot.
The Gophers return to action next weekend when they host William & Mary and Washington. All home matches at Baseline Tennis Center are free and open to the public.
Jan. 28, 2012
Baseline Tennis Center (Minneapolis, Minn.)
Minnesota 7, Creighton 0
1. Yuliana Umanets (MINN) def. Jennie Hartjes (CU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Julia Courter (MINN) def. Analese Snyder (CU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) def. Kelsey Schmidt (CU) 7-6 (4), 6-3
4. Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Mary McMullan (CU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Emilie Renault (MINN) def. Elizabeth Vermillion (CU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Pauline Gilbert (MINN) def. Taylor Koehrsen (CU) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (9)
1. Alexa Palen/Tereza Brichacova (MINN) def. Jennie Hartjes/Analese Snyder (CU) 8-2
2. Doron Muravnik/Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. Mary McMullan/Kelsey Schmidt (CU) 8-4
3. Amanda Noonan/Elizabeth Vermillion (CU) def. Pauline Gilbert/Elianna Kantar (MINN) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,2,5,4,3,6)