Jan. 27, 2012
The Minnesota women’s tennis team began its 2012 season with a rousing 7-0 win against Iowa State at Baseline Tennis Center. The Gophers return to action tomorrow when they play host to Creighton at 3 p.m.
Minnesota won its first match of the season for the first time since it beat Iowa State 4-3 in 2010 in Rochester, Minn.
The Gophers set the tone for the match by winning all three double matches to go up 1-0. Julia Courter and Emilie Renault partnered together at No. 1 doubles and beat Tessa Lang and Maria Fernanda Macedo 8-4.
Freshman Tereza Brichacova, who joined the squad earlier this month, teamed with Alexa Palen to beat Simona Cacciuttolo and Ksenia Pronina 8-1 at No. 2 doubles. Natallia Pintusava and Yuliana Umanets dispatched Jenna Langhorst and Marie Christine-Chartier 8-6 at third doubles.
In singles, Palen gave Minnesota a 2-0 lead in the match as she quickly beat Pronina 6-2, 6-3 at second singles. Pintusava then put the Gophers up 3-0 with a 6-2, 6-3 win at No. 1 singles against Macedo. Courter then secured the win for Minnesota with a 6-4, 6-0 triumph at third singles against Cacciuttolo.
Doron Muravnik, who led Minnesota win nine wins in the fall, cruised to a 6-1, 6-4 win at the fifth spot against Cassens. Newcomer Brichacova then beat Lang 6-4, 7-6 to earn her first collegiate win in singles. Freshman Aria Lambert closed out the match with a 1-6, 6-2, 6-2 victory against Chartier.
After facing Creighton tomorrow, the Gophers host William & Mary on Feb. 3 and Washington on Feb. 5. All home matches at Baseline Tennis Center are free to the public.
Jan. 27, 2012
Baseline Tennis Center
Iowa State 0
1. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. Maria Fernanda Macedo (ISU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Alexa Palen (MINN) def. Ksenia Pronina (ISU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Julia Courter (MINN) def. Simona Cacciuttolo (ISU) 6-4, 6-0
4. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) def. Tessa Lang (ISU) 6-4, 7-6
5. Doron Muravnik (MINN) def. Meghan Cassens (ISU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Marie Christine-Chartier (ISU) 1-6, 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3, 5, 4, 6
1. Courter/Renault (MINN) def. Lang/Macedo (ISU) 8-4
2. Brichacova/Palen (MINN) def. Cacciuttolo/Pronina (ISU) 8-1
3. Pintusava/Umanets (MINN) def. Langhorst/Chartier (ISU) 8-6
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3