Jan. 27, 2013
Three Gophers tallied victories in singles play but a disappointing doubles round left the women's tennis team trailing North Texas on the final day of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend in College Station, Texas. Minnesota moves to 2-2 on the season.
In the doubles competition, North Texas won the first two matches and left the third unfinished. Tereza Brichacova and Natallia Pintusava faced Franziska Sprinkmeyer and Kseniya Bardabush at the No. 1 position and fell 8-3 to their opponents. Jessika Mozia and Yuliana Umanets were the next pair to finish as they dropped an 8-5 decision to Dane Joubert and Ilona Serchenko.
The Gophers grabbed three wins in the singles category bringing it down to the wire. Alexa Palen notched the firs twin from the No. 6 position with a 6-1, 6-2 defeated of Joubert. The Mean Green won the next two games to force a must-win situation for the remaining Gopher competitors. Aria Lambert and Jessika Mozia followed through, claiming victories at No. 4 and No. 5, respectively. Lambert won a 6-2, 6-3 outcome over Sprinkmeyer, while Mozia stayed tough through two tiebreakers against Serchenko. Up against Barbora Vykydalova, Brichacova was the last game on the court. Despite taking the first set, she fell in three by scores of 4-6, 6-4, 6-4.
The Maroon and Gold will remain on the road this week as the team travels to Blacksburg, Va. to face Louisville and Virginia Tech in back-to-back matches.
No. 54 North Texas 4, No. 41 Minnesota 3
ITA Kick-Off Weekend (Consolation)
January 27, 2013
George P. Mitchell Tennis Center
College Station, Texas
1. Kseniya Bardabush (UNT) def. Natallia Pintusava (UM), 6-4, 6-3
2. Barbora Vykydalova (UNT) def. Tereza Brichacova (UM), 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. Valentina Starkova (UNT) def. Yuliana Umanets (UM), 6-2, 6-3
4. Aria Lambert (UM) def. Franziska Sprinkmeyer (UNT), 6-2, 6-3
5. Jessika Mozia (UM) def. Ilona Serchenko (UNT), 7-6 (8), 7-6 (2)
6. Alexa Palen (UM) def. Dane Joubert (UNT), 6-1, 6-2
1. Bardabush/Sprinkmeyer (UNT) def. Brichacova/Pintusava (UM), 8-3
2. Doran Muravnik/Palen (UM) vs. Starkova/Vykydalova (UNT), 6-5, unfinished
3. Joubert/Serchenko (UNT) def. Mozia/Umanets (UM), 8-5
Order of Finish
Doubles: 1, 3
Singles: 6, 3, 1, 4, 5, 2
Taking Charge: Gopher Women's Tennis Captains
First year head coach Catrina Thompson didn’t waste time finding the newest captains this season for the University of Minnesota women’s tennis team.
Fresh Faces: River Hart
Gophersports sat down with the only women's tennis freshman to learn a little bit about her first few months on campus.
Three Gophers Capture Crowns at Gopher Invite
Minnesota finished with the most singles champions in over 10 years with Cammy Frei, Kaylssa Hall and Barbara Mancera all capturing the titles.