Jan. 26, 2013
In the opening round of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend at College Station, Texas, the No. 41 Minnesota women’s tennis team fell to No. 30 Arizona, 5-2, this afternoon. The Gophers earned a point for their doubles play but were unable to grab enough points from the singles competition to come away with the win. The loss was the first for the Gophers this season. They now drop to 2-1, while Arizona remains at a perfect 3-0.
The Maroon and Gold won two of the three doubles matches but had to work their way back after dropping the match in the third position. At No. 2, Doron Muravnik and Alexa Palen finished second with an 8-7 (4) mark over Shane Austin and Lacey Smyth. Tereza Brichacova and Natallia Pintusava defeated Inge Hendrikx and Kim Stubbe by a score of 8-7 (9).
Aria Lambert was the only Gopher to add a point to the team total after defeating Akilah James in the singles competition. In her match, which finished fourth among the six, Lambert came back from a 1-6 loss in the first set. She outlasted her opponent through a tiebreak in the second and followed through to win in the third (6-3).
Minnesota will play No. 54 North Texas in the consolation match tomorrow at 10 a.m. CT. Continue to follow along with live scoring and video here.
No. 30 Arizona 4, No. 41 Minnesota 2
ITA Kick-Off Weekend (First Round)
January 26, 2013
George P. Mitchell Tennis Center
College Station, Texas
1. Lacey Smyth (UA) def. Natallia Pintusava (UM), 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
2. Kim Stubbe (UA) def. Tereza Brichacova (UM), 6-2, 6-0
3. Laura Oldham (UA) vs. Yuliana Umanets (UM), 6-4, 6-7 (3) 1-1, unfinished
4. Aria Lambert (UM) def. Akilah James (UA), 1-6, 7-6 (5), 6-3
5. Susan McRann (UA) def. Jessika Mozia (UM), 6-7 (3), 6-2, 7-5
6. Shayne Austin (UA) def. Doron Muravnik, 7-6 (5), 6-4
1. Brichacova/Pintusava (UM) def. Hendrikx/Stubbe (UA), 8-7 (9)
2. Muravnik/Palen (UM) def. Austin/Smyth (UA), 8-7 (4)
3. James/McRann (UA) def. Mozia/Ulmanets (UM), 8-2
Order of Finish
Doubles: 3, 2, 1
Singles: 2, 6, 1, 4, 5
Merzbacher Gets 400th Career Victory
The Courtside Classic comes to a close with the Gophers winning the consolation match over New Mexico 5-2 earning Coach Chuck Merzbacher his 400th career victory.
Gophers Battle at Courtside Classic
Courtside Classic day one is in the books with the Gophers falling 4-3 to DePaul. All three Gophers seniors pulled out singles wins on the day.
Gophers Bring Back Courtside Classic
The re-established Courtside Classic is set for this weekend as the Gophers host DePaul, Mississippi State and New Mexico.