April 4, 2013
|Minnesota (21-12, 4-2) vs. No. 23/25 Wisconsin (27-4, 5-1)|
|Game One||Friday, April 5 at 6:00 p.m. CT|
|Game Two||Saturday, April 6 at 2:00 p.m. CT|
|Game Three||Sunday, April 7 at 1:00 p.m. CT|
|Location||Jane Sage Cowles Stadium (1,000) | Minneapolis, Minn.|
|TV | Video||None | Gopher All-Access|
|Game Notes||Minnesota | Wisconsin|
|2013 Statistics||Minnesota | Wisconsin|
|Tickets||612.624.8080 | 1.800.UGOPHER | www.mygophersports.com|
• Minnesota (21-12, 4-2 Big Ten) opens its home schedule against No. 23/25 Wisconsin (27-4, 5-1) with a three-game Big Ten series this weekend. The Gophers and Badgers kick things off on Friday at 6:00 p.m. CT, with the first pitch on Saturday slated for 2:00 p.m., and Sunday’s game set for 1:00 p.m. Minnesota’s next game will be the 2,000th in the program’s 40-year history.
• Several promotions will be taking place this weekend. First and foremost, it's "Let's Play Ball" Weekend, and patrons can use tickets to softball and baseball games interchangeably. Saturday is Autograph Day at Jane Sage Cowles Stadium, and fans are welcome to stay after the game for player autographs (limit two items per fan). Following Sunday's game, all fans 6th grade and under are welcome to run the bases after the game.
• The Gophers are 21-12 overall and 4-2 in the Big Ten after dropping a three-game series at Northwestern last weekend. Minnesota hit six home runs in a 14-9 win against the Wildcats on Saturday, but lost by scores of 6-2 on Friday and 4-2 on Sunday.
• Head coach Jessica Allister is in her third season at Minnesota with a record of 83-58 (.589). She entered the season with 62 victories over her first two seasons, which are the most over a two-year span since Minnesota combined for 70 wins during 2003-04.
• Minnesota owns an all-time record of 18-20 against UW, with the Badgers winning the past four games in the series. Last year in Madison, the Badgers swept the three-game series by scores of 3-0, 5-1 and 11-10. The Gophers have won the past two home games, defeating UW by a score of 10-9 in 10 innings on May 12, 2010, and winning the second game of a doubleheader on May 5, 2007.
• Minnesota has combined for 30 home runs in its 33 games so far, after hitting 53 HRs in 53 games during the 2012 season. Sophomore third baseman Kaitlyn Richardson leads the team with seven, while junior centerfielder Bree Blanchette has six and sophomore shortstop Tyler Walker has five.
• Junior right-handed pitcher Sara Moulton was ranked among the top 25 for strikeouts (5th), victories (7th), and shutouts (7th) in this week’s NCAA stats. For the season, Moulton is 18-8 with a 1.59 ERA, 15 complete games, and 184 strikeouts in 158.2 IP.
• Tyler Walker and Kaitlyn Richardson each have impressive numbers over the past six weekends. Richardson is batting .471 (32-for-68) with 16 R, 21 RBI, five doubles and five HRs, while Walker is batting .444 (36-for-81) with 28 runs scored, 16 RBI, seven doubles, four home runs, and 12 stolen bases in 13 attempts.
(For the PDF version of the full 26-page Minnesota Game Notes, click the link in the box at the top of the page, or Click Here)
Summer Update: Danielle Parlich
Junior infielder Danielle Parlich stayed busy back home in Arizona. We caught up with some of her adventures in this summer update!
A True Softball Family: The Wagners
Dani Wagner was good enough to play high school softball as just a seventh grader but the program almost died off when the team could not find a coach. Luckily hero stepped up and saved...
Alumni Update: Gophers in the Pros
This week we checked in with our professional players, Sara Moulton and KatieRichardson.