March 15, 2013
|Minnesota at Florida State's Sunshine Classic|
|Dates||Friday, March 15 through Sunday, March 17|
|Location||JoAnne Graf Field (1,000) | Tallahassee, Fla.|
|Sunshine Classic||Click Here|
|Game Notes||Minnesota | Florida State | Georgia Southern|
|2013 Statistics||Minnesota | Florida State | Georgia Southern|
The First Pitch
• Minnesota (13-9) travels to Florida State's Sunshine Classic in Tallahassee, Fla., where it plays two games against the host Seminoles (20-8) and a pair against Georgia Southern (14-10). Minnesota opens the tournament with a 5:00 p.m. CT game with FSU on Friday evening on ESPN3. On Saturday, the Gophers play the Eagles at 1:00 p.m. CT, before wrapping up the four-game weekend with games against Georgia Southern at 9:00 a.m. CT and Florida State at approximately 11:00 a.m. CT on Sunday.
• The Gophers are 13-9 after going 3-2 at Stanford University's Louisville Slugger Classic last weekend. Head coach Jessica Allister is in her third season at Minnesota with a record of 75-55 (.577). She entered the season with 62 victories over her first two seasons, which are the most over a two-year span since Minnesota combined for 70 wins during 2003-04.
• Minnesota is 6-6 all-time versus Pacific, 0-2 versus Stanford, and 3-0 versus Florida Gulf Coast. The Gophers defeated FGCU, 3-0, on February 22 in Fort Myers.
• Minnesota has combined to hit 16 home runs in its 17 games so far, after hitting 53 homers in 53 games during the 2012 season.
• Junior right-handed pitcher Sara Moulton is ranked among the top 15 for victories (5th), earned run average (8th) and hits allowed per seven innings (15th). For the season, Moulton is 13-5 with a 0.99 ERA, 11 complete games, and 138 strikeouts in 113.1 IP.
• Sophomore SS Tyler Walker and sophomore 3B Kaitlyn Richardson each have impressive numbers over the past three weekends. Walker is batting .489 (22-for-45) with 13 R, nine RBI, five doubles and four HRs, while Richardson is batting .462 (18-for-39) with nine RBI, five R, two doubles and a HR.
(For the PDF version of the full 26-page Minnesota Game Notes, click the link in the box at the top of the page, or Click Here)
A True Softball Family: The Wagners
Dani Wagner was good enough to play high school softball as just a seventh grader but the program almost died off when the team could not find a coach. Luckily hero stepped up and saved...
Alumni Update: Gophers in the Pros
This week we checked in with our professional players, Sara Moulton and KatieRichardson.
With less than a month left until classes start up we take one last look at what our newcomers have been up to.