March 6, 2013
|Minnesota at Stanford's Louisville Slugger Classic|
|Dates||Friday, March 8 through Sunday, March 10|
|Location||Boyd and Jill Smith Family Stadium (1,500) | Palo Alto, Calif.|
|Series Records||Pacific (6-6) | Stanford (0-2) | Florida Gulf Coast (3-0)|
|Tournament Page||Click Here|
|Game Notes||Minnesota | Pacific | Stanford | Florida Gulf Coast|
|2013 Statistics||Minnesota | Pacific | Stanford | Florida Gulf Coast|
The First Pitch
• Minnesota (10-7) travels to Stanford’s Louisville Slugger Classic in Palo Alto, Calif., where it plays games against Pacific (13-7) and Stanford (17-5) on both Friday and Saturday, before wrapping up the five-game weekend against Florida Gulf Coast (14-5) on Sunday.
• The Gophers are 10-7 after going 3-0 at Auburn’s War Eagle Classic last weekend. A 2004 Stanford graduate and a former All-America catcher for the Cardinal, Jessica Allister is in her third season at Minnesota with a record of 72-53 (.576). She entered the season with 62 victories over her first two seasons, which are the most over a two-year span since Minnesota combined for 70 wins during 2003-04.
• Minnesota is 6-6 all-time versus Pacific, 0-2 versus Stanford, and 3-0 versus Florida Gulf Coast. The Gophers defeated FGCU, 3-0, on February 22 in Fort Myers.
• Minnesota has combined to hit 16 home runs in its 17 games so far, after hitting 53 homers in 53 games during the 2012 season.
• Junior right-handed pitcher Sara Moulton is this week’s Big Ten Pitcher of the Week after going 3-0 with a 1.09 ERA, 26 strikeouts, a no-hitter, and a 15-strikeout game at the War Eagle Classic. For the season, Moulton is 10-4 with a 1.18 ERA, eight complete games, and 115 strikeouts in 89.0 IP.
• Sophomore shortstop Tyler Walker and sophomore third baseman Kaitlyn Richardson each have impressive numbers over the past two weeks. Walker is batting .536 (15-for-28) with eight runs scored, eight RBI, four doubles and three HRs, while Richardson is batting .520 (13-for-25) with five RBI, four runs scored and a pair of doubles.
(For the PDF version of the full 26-page Minnesota Game Notes, click the link in the box at the top of the page, or Click Here)
First Pitch With Kaylen Krueger
Unlike everybody who has answered questions for First Pitch so far Kaylen Krueger actually has a real chance to hit a home run off the celebrity she picked.
Campus Corner: Erika Rozell
Erika Rozell's favorite spot on campus provides her with fresh air, great views and is a great study spot.
First Pitch With Allie Arneson
Areneson played her freshman season at Virginia where she started 43 of 44 games played at shortstop. She brings experience, a gritty playing style and tons of heart to Minnesota.