March 6, 2013
|Minnesota at Stanford's Louisville Slugger Classic|
|Dates||Friday, March 8 through Sunday, March 10|
|Location||Boyd and Jill Smith Family Stadium (1,500) | Palo Alto, Calif.|
|Series Records||Pacific (6-6) | Stanford (0-2) | Florida Gulf Coast (3-0)|
|Tournament Page||Click Here|
|Game Notes||Minnesota | Pacific | Stanford | Florida Gulf Coast|
|2013 Statistics||Minnesota | Pacific | Stanford | Florida Gulf Coast|
The First Pitch
• Minnesota (10-7) travels to Stanford’s Louisville Slugger Classic in Palo Alto, Calif., where it plays games against Pacific (13-7) and Stanford (17-5) on both Friday and Saturday, before wrapping up the five-game weekend against Florida Gulf Coast (14-5) on Sunday.
• The Gophers are 10-7 after going 3-0 at Auburn’s War Eagle Classic last weekend. A 2004 Stanford graduate and a former All-America catcher for the Cardinal, Jessica Allister is in her third season at Minnesota with a record of 72-53 (.576). She entered the season with 62 victories over her first two seasons, which are the most over a two-year span since Minnesota combined for 70 wins during 2003-04.
• Minnesota is 6-6 all-time versus Pacific, 0-2 versus Stanford, and 3-0 versus Florida Gulf Coast. The Gophers defeated FGCU, 3-0, on February 22 in Fort Myers.
• Minnesota has combined to hit 16 home runs in its 17 games so far, after hitting 53 homers in 53 games during the 2012 season.
• Junior right-handed pitcher Sara Moulton is this week’s Big Ten Pitcher of the Week after going 3-0 with a 1.09 ERA, 26 strikeouts, a no-hitter, and a 15-strikeout game at the War Eagle Classic. For the season, Moulton is 10-4 with a 1.18 ERA, eight complete games, and 115 strikeouts in 89.0 IP.
• Sophomore shortstop Tyler Walker and sophomore third baseman Kaitlyn Richardson each have impressive numbers over the past two weeks. Walker is batting .536 (15-for-28) with eight runs scored, eight RBI, four doubles and three HRs, while Richardson is batting .520 (13-for-25) with five RBI, four runs scored and a pair of doubles.
(For the PDF version of the full 26-page Minnesota Game Notes, click the link in the box at the top of the page, or Click Here)
A True Softball Family: The Wagners
Dani Wagner was good enough to play high school softball as just a seventh grader but the program almost died off when the team could not find a coach. Luckily hero stepped up and saved...
Alumni Update: Gophers in the Pros
This week we checked in with our professional players, Sara Moulton and KatieRichardson.
With less than a month left until classes start up we take one last look at what our newcomers have been up to.