Feb. 27, 2013
|| Minnesota at Auburn's War Eagle Classic
The First Pitch
• Minnesota (7-7) travels to the War Eagle Classic in Auburn, Ala., where it plays games against Middle Tennessee (0-10) on Friday, Auburn (12-4) and Charlotte (6-4) on Saturday, and Gardner-Webb (2-4) on Sunday.
• The Golden Gophers are 7-7 after going 4-1 at Florida Gulf Coast’s Spring Break Invitational last weekend. Head coach Jessica Allister is in her third season at the helm of the Gophers with a record of 69-53 (.566). She entered the season with 62 victories over her first two seasons, which were the most over a two-year span since Minnesota combined for 70 wins during 2003-04.
• Minnesota is 1-0 all-time versus Middle Tennessee State, 1-1 versus Auburn, 1-0 versus Charlotte, and will be making its first-ever appearance against Gardner-Webb.
• Minnesota has combined to hit 12 home runs in its 14 games so far, after hitting 53 homers in 53 games during the 2012 season.
• Junior right-handed pitcher Sara Moulton is this week’s Big Ten Pitcher of the Week after going 4-0 with a 0.71 ERA, 42 strikeouts, a no-hitter, and a complete-game one-hitter at FGCU. For the season, Moulton is 7-4 with a 1.21 ERA, six complete games, and 89 strikeouts in 69.2 IP.
• Sophomore shortstop Tyler Walker and sophomore third baseman Kaitlyn Richardson each batted .471 (8-for-17) last weekend. Walker had a pair of doubles and a solo home run, with two hits being game-winners.
(For the PDF version of the full 26-page Minnesota Game Notes, click the link in the box at the top of the page, or Click Here)