Feb. 7, 2013
|Minnesota at Sportco Kick-Off Classic|
|Dates||Saturday, February 9 and Sunday, Feb. 10|
|Location||Eller Media Stadium (770) | Las Vegas, Nev.|
|Series Records||DePaul (5-4) | TTU (1-2) | Louisville (5-5) | UNLV (2-5)|
|Tournament Page||Click Here|
|Live Video||Not Available|
|Game Notes||Minnesota | DePaul | Texas Tech | Louisville | UNLV|
|2012 Season Statistics||Minnesota | DePaul | Texas Tech | Louisville | UNLV|
The First Pitch
• Minnesota opens its 2013 season at the Sportco Kick-Off Classic in Las Vegas for the second year in a row, as it faces DePaul and Texas Tech on Saturday at UNLV’s Eller Media Stadium. On Sunday, the Gophers will wrap up the tournament with games against No. 18/18 Louisville and the host Rebels.
• The Golden Gophers are coming off a 2012 season in which they finished 31-22 overall and 10-14 (9th) in the Big Ten. Head coach Jessica Allister enters her third season at the helm of the Gophers with a record of 62-46 (.574). The 62 victories over the past two seasons are the most over a two-year span since Minnesota combined for 70 wins during 2003-04.
• Minnesota owns all-time series records of 5-4 versus DePaul, 5-5 versus Louisville, 1-2 versus Texas Tech, and 2-5 versus UNLV.
• Last year in Las Vegas, the Gophers went 3-1, with wins against Kent State (2-0), Weber State (8-0 in 5 inn.) and Cal State Bakersfield (10-0), and a 2-1 loss against UNLV.
• A pair of Third-Team All-Big Ten selections return for the Gophers in junior pitcher Sara Moulton and sophomore infielder Tyler Walker. Moulton was 25-14 with a 1.52 ERA and 302 strikeouts during 2012, while Walker made her collegiate debut by batting .380 with 46 runs scored, 29 RBI, nine doubles, and nine home runs. Also among Minnesota’s nine starters returning is sophomore infielder Kaitlyn Richardson, who batted .338 with 10 home runs and senior catcher Kari Dorle (10 HRs, 47 RBI).
Campus Corner: Ellie Cowger
Cowger loves to sit up in the press box by herself looking out onto the field and working on homework.
First Pitch With Kendal Judge
Kendal Judge out of Plainfield, Ill., steps into the circle to answer some questions in our latest First Pitch segment.
First Pitch With Carlie Brandt
You know the returners but we will be spending the next nine weeks introducing you to our seven freshmen and two transfers. In this week's First Pitch Carlie Brandt steps up and answers...