The list of accomplishments for the Golden Gopher soccer program in 2007 is a long one. Minnesota posted a 9-8-2 overall record, including 5-5-1 in the Big Ten, which put them in a fifth-place tie in the conference standings. However, wins and losses didn’t tell the entire story for Minnesota. Six of the Gophers’ eight losses came at the hands of NCAA Tournament participants, with five of those coming by a single goal.
In 2008, the Gophers will return 10 starters from the group that finished 2007 with the team’s second Big Ten Tournament appearance in the past three seasons. That core will get support from another outstanding recruiting class next fall, giving Minnesota one of its most talented teams in the program’s 15-year history. The future definitely looks bright for head coach Mikki Denney Wright and her Golden Gopher soccer program.
2007 Minnesota Soccer Accomplishments
2007 Minnesota Soccer Individual Award Winners
- 2007 Big Ten Tournament participant for the second time in three years (2007 and 2005).
- Winning record for second time in three seasons.
- Tied for the second-most wins in program since 1999.
- Biggest regular season win in program history beat No. 8 Penn State 1-0 in 2OT on 10/19 (snapped PSU’s 11-match unbeaten streak and 15-match Big Ten winning streak).
- Greatest win-loss improvement in Big Ten record among conference opponents from 2006.
- Finished in the top half of the conference for the second time in three years.
- Top half of the Big Ten in almost every statistical category: Shots (second), goals (fourth), corner kicks (second), assists (fifth), goals-against-average (fifth), shutouts (fifth) and attendance (first).
- 31 goals scored most goals scored since 1999.
- Two Gophers (Katie Bethke, Lindsey Schwartz) collected over 20 points apiece for the first time since 1999.
- 22 goals allowed second-fewest total in program history.
- Second-lowest goals-against-average for program since 1998.
- Highest average home attendance in the Big Ten (1,034 fans/game).
- Drew three of the top-15 largest crowds in program history most ever for program in a single season (1,516 vs. Michigan, 1,238 vs. Dayton, 1,008 vs. Montana).
- Highest opening-weekend attendance in program history (2,246 fans vs. Dayton and Montana)
All-Big Ten 2nd Team
All-Big Ten Freshmen Team
All-Big Ten Tournament Team
Big Ten Sportsmanship Award
Soccer Buzz “Elite Team of Week”
Kylie Kallman (10/30/07)
Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week
Kylie Kallman (10/22/07)
2007 Minnesota Soccer Team Awards Offensive MVP
Lindsey Schwartz (junior)Defensive MVP
Kylie Kallman (freshman)Co-Midfield MVP
Kelsey Hood (junior)
Clare Grimwood (junior)Most Improved
Molly Rouse (freshman)Coalminer Award
(Hardest-working player in practice and games)
Kaitlin Wagner (junior)Co-Rose Grimm Award
(Most outstanding teammate)
Sara Johnson (senior)
Lindsey Dare (junior)Spark Award
(Biggest impact off the bench)
Sara Clancy (sophomore)
Rookie of the Year
Katie Bethke (freshman)
Minnesota Soccer 2008 Captains
Minnesota Soccer 2008 Leadership Council
(Rising senior class and a representative from each remaining class)
Minnesota Soccer will celebrate all 2007- 2008 award winners at their annual End of the Year Celebration on Friday, April 18th at 7 p.m. at McNamara Alumni Center.