| No. 1 Minnesota vs. Minnesota State
|Date||Friday, January 18 | Saturday, January 19|
|Time||7:07 p.m. CT | 3:07 p.m. CT|
|Location||All Seasons Arena|
|Series Record||57-3-3 vs. MSU|
|Last Series||W, 3-0 | W, 9-1|
|Game Day Live
||Friday | Saturday|
|Game Notes||Minnesota | Minnesota State|
|Season Statistics||Minnesota | Minnesota State|
|Social Media||Facebook | @MNwomenshockey|
Jan. 16, 2013
FIVE THINGS YOU NEED KNOW
1. Minnesota holds a 57-3-3 series advantage over the Mavericks. The Maroon & Gold have won 14 consecutive games against MSU with the last loss coming Jan. 20, 2007 in Mankato, Minn. In the last series between the two, the Gophers matched the NCAA winning streak record with a 3-0 win on Friday and then broke it the following day with a 9-1 victory.
2. The Golden Gophers enter the weekend with an NCAA record 30 consecutive victories. Their last loss was to North Dakota on Feb. 17, 2012 in a 2-1 overtime decision. During the 20-game span, the Maroon & Gold have tallied four or more goals in all but just four games. Minnesota's sights our now set on the NCAA unbeaten streak record, which is held by Wisconsin at 32 games. The Badgers have achieved this mark twice (2006-2007 and 2010-11). Their 2010-11 streak was snapped last season on Oct. 14, 2011 by the Gophers.
3. Junior Amanda Kessel heads to Mankato, Minn. just six points shy of the 200-point mark. When she reaches the 200 mark, Kessel will be the 24th player in NCAA history to achieve the feat and only the ninth player to do so by her junior year. Among those 24 players are three fellow Gophers in Natalie Darwitz (246), Krissy Wendell (237) and Kelly Stephens (218). Since the NCAA did not begin tracking records until the 2000-01 season, two other Gophers are left off the list: Nadine Muzerall (235) and Ambria Thomas (2001). The Madison, Wis. native currently leads the nation in scoring with 64 points (31g-33a) and is on pace to rival Darwitz's NCAA single season scoring record of 114 points.
4. In the last three seasons, the Gophers' junior class has been a wrecking force when playing against Minnesota State. These five juniors : Bethany Brausen, Sarah Davis, Baylee Gillanders, Amanda Kessel and Kelly Terry have tallied 35.4% of Minnesota's points (45-of-127) the last three years. Kessel heads up the class with 14 points (5g-9a), while Davis (4g-7a) and Terry (5g-6a) have 11. Brausen (1g-4a) and Gillanders (0g-4a) round out the group with a combined nine points.
5. Minnesota has won an NCAA record 17-straight road games. Their last road loss was over a year ago (Jan. 13, 2012) when they lost 4-2 to Minnesota Duluth. The following day, the Gophers rebounded and start the streak with a 3-0 victory over the Bulldogs. In eight of those 17 games, they have shutout their opponent and only twice their opposition has recorded more than two goals in a game.
SCOUTING MINNESOTA STATE
The Mavericks enter the weekend 9-12-3 overall and 5-10-3 in the WCHA, which has them sitting sixth in the league. They have won three of their last four games by sweeping Lindenwood to start off the 2013 calendar year and splitting with Bemidji State last weekend. MSU is 4-3-3 when playing at home in the All Seasons Arena.
Offensively, Minnesota State is led by Lauren Smith, who leads the team in goals (16), assists (10) and points (26). She is complimented by Tracy McCann, who has 19 points (11g-8a) on the season. Those two head up the nation's fourth best combined special teams unit that boasts a percentage of 57.5%.
Danielle Butters has started every game in goal for the Mavericks and matches the team's overall record. She has a goal against average of 2.54 and a save percentage of .927. Butters has recorded four shutouts on the year.
Frost Meets with Media
Head coach Brad Frost meets with the media to discuss the start of the season, the team's freshmen, and senior leadership.
Gophers in the Pros: Sept. 28
Catch up on the Golden Gopher alumni continuing their hockey careers in the professional ranks.
Youth VIP Season Pass Back for 2016-17
The Gophers are pleased to offer the Youth VIP Season Pass for its fifth season.