The Minnesota women’s gymnastics team dominated all four rotations and rolled to an easy 194.675-191.225 victory over North Carolina Friday night at the Sports Pavilion.
Carmelina Carabajal posted three top-three finishes, including a tie for first on bars and a win on floor exercise to lead the Golden Gophers, who improved their dual meet record to 9-5 on the season with the win.
Angela Walker also had a strong meet for Minnesota with a second-place finish on floor exercise and a tie for third on beam.
Carabajal and Jade Beattie finished two-three on the vault and helped Minnesota jump out to a huge lead after the first rotation. The Gophers combined for 48.425 total points, with Carabajal scoring a 9.800 and Beattie tallying a 9.750.
The Gophers’ advantage continued to climb after the second rotation as Minnesota posted the top four scores on bars for a team total of 48.575 points. Kirstin Furukawa, Yuri Nagai and Carabajal all turned in 9.750 routines to tie for the top spot, while Kendra Elm earned a 9.725 to take fourth.
Minnesota rolled through the third rotation with a series of solid beam routines. The Gophers registered 48.675 points with Ashley Stanton scoring 9.850 points for her seventh top-3 finish of the season on beam.
The Gophers iced the win on the final rotation with Carabajal once again stepping up to lead the way. The junior scored a season-best 9.875 to win the event, followed by Walker’s 9.850 as the Gopher tandem notched a one-two finish.
Minnesota returns to action on Saturday, March 15, when the Gophers travel to Morgantown, W.Va., to battle the Mountineers. The Gophers’ next home meet is Saturday, March 22, at 6 p.m. in the Sports Pavilion.
Women’s College Gymnastics
North Carolina at Minnesota
University of Minnesota Sports Pavilion
March 7, 2008
FINAL TEAM RESULTS
1) MINN 194.675; 2) UNC 191.575.
1) Christine Nguyen (UNC) 9.825; 2) Carmelina Carabajal (MINN) 9.800; 3) Jade Beattie (MINN) 9.750, Jennifer Valby (UNC) 9.750.
1) Kristin Furukawa (MINN) 9.750, Yuri Nagai (MINN) 9.750, Carmelina Carabajal (MINN) 9.750.
1) Christine Nguyen (UNC) 9.900; 2) Ashley Stanton (MINN) 9.850; 3) Amanda Miles (MINN) 9.800, Angela Walker (MINN) 9.800
1) Carmelina Carabajal (MINN) 9.875; 2) Angela Walker (MINN) 9.850, Christine Nguyen (UNC) 9.850.
1) Christine Nguyen (UNC) 39.275; 2) Carmelina Carabajal (MINN) 38.725; 3) Karli Jones (UNC) 38.700.