The Opening Tip - Quick Notes
• The Minnesota women's basketball team hosts Virginia in the 2012 ACC/Big Ten Challenge on Thursday, Nov. 29 at 7:00 p.m. at Williams Arena.
• The contest will be broadcast live on BTN, with Lisa Byington doing play-by-play, Stephanie White serving as the analyst and Ann Carroll serving as the sideline reporter.
• Fans can also listen to the game live on 1500 ESPN or on Gophersports.com.
• This year's ACC/Big Ten Challenge will mark the sixth year of an event that has been extended to 2016.
• The Big Ten and ACC battled to a 6-6 draw, the first tie in the Challenge's history, last season.
• Minnesota is 2-3 all-time in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge and holds a 3-1 advantage in the all-time series vs. Virginia, which includes a 1-0 record at Williams Arena.
• Minnesota posted a 2-1 record last week at the Cancun Challenge in Cancun, Mexico.
• The Gophers opened play with a 46-58 loss to Richmond, but bounced back with two-straight wins vs. James Madison, 80-62, and Missouri, 59-54.
• Minnesota is receiving four votes in the latest USA Today Coaches' Poll after receiving two votes in last week's poll.
• It is the first time the Maroon and Gold have received votes in the poll since April 7, 2009.
• The Gophers enter Thursday's game vs. Virginia with a 10-game home winning streak.
• The streak dates back to last season's win vs. No. 15 Nebraska on Feb. 13, 2012.
• Minnesota is the only team in the Big Ten with six wins this season.
• The Gophers lead the Big Ten in three-point field goal percentage defense (.243) and rebounding margin (+9.3)
• In her just her sophomore campaign, guard Rachel Banham already has 713 career points.
• She looks to join Minnesota's list of 1,000 point scorers in just her second year.
• Banham needs to score 287 points to become the 21st Gopher in program history to notch 1,000 career points.
• Virginia makes the trip to Minneapolis with a 4-1 record on the season. It is receiving 12 votes in the AP Poll and four votes in the USA Today Coaches' Poll.
• One of those wins was an upset victory vs. No. 17 Vanderbilt last week in the San Juan Shootout in Puerto Rico.