|Minnesota (21-12, 8-8) vs. SMU (18-13, 8-10)|
|Date / Time||Sunday, March 23 | 5 p.m.|
|Location||Williams Arena - Directions|
|Travel||Local Weather | Parking | Preferred Hotels|
|Live Video||Gopher All-Access|
|Live Updates||Game Day Live|
|Game Notes||Minnesota | SMU|
|Official Sites||Minnesota | SMU|
|Social Media||@GophersWBB | Facebook|
March 22, 2014
THE OPENING TIP - QUICK NOTES
• The University of Minnesota women’s basketball team will host SMU at Williams Arena Sunday afternoon at 5:00 p.m. in the second round of the Women’s National Invitation Tournament (WNIT). It will be the second game of a doubleheader with the Gopher men’s basketball team playing in the NIT second round at 2:00 p.m.
• The Gophers are making their second-straight WNIT appearance and advanced to the second round with a 62-60 come-from-behind win over Green Bay on Wednesday night to improve to 21-12 overall.
• Minnesota finished the regular-season with an 8-8 Big Ten record, its best finish in the league since 2009.
• The contest will be streamed live on Gopher All-Access and can be heard locally on 1500 ESPN, while live updates can also be found on the Gophers’ official twitter page - @GophersWBB.
• Minnesota has appeared in the Postseason WNIT three times (2007, 2013, 2014) since Triple Crown Sports took over the event in 1998. The Gophers also appeared in the NWIT in 1978 and 1979.
• The Maroon and Gold holds a 2-2 record in WNIT appearances following their win over the Phoenix.
• SMU moved into the second round of competition with a 84-72 win over Texas Southern on Thursday night in their WNIT opening-round contest.
• The Mustangs are now 18-13 on the season, after finishing their first year of play in the American Athletic Conference with an 8-10 record.
• In Minnesota’s win over Green Bay, junior Rachel Banham scored 31 points to break the Gophers’ single-season scoring record with 714 points. The record of 708 points by Laura Coenen had stood since 1985.
• Her 714 points rank in a tie for eighth in the Big Ten single-season record book. The league record stands at 872 points by Penn State’s Kelly Mazzante in 2002.
• Banham enters Sunday’s game just 43 points away from scoring 2,000 for her career. She would become just the fourth Gopher in program history to reach the milestone (Lindsay Whalen, Carol Ann Shudlick, Laura Coenen, Linda Roberts) and the first to reach the mark since 2004.
• With 371 rebounds on the season, Amanda Zahui B. needs 17 rebounds to break not only the Minnesota single-season record, but to break the Big Ten single-season record, as well. Both records sit at 387 rebounds.
Women's Basketball Banquet Scheduled for April 9
3/23/2018 - W. Basketball
The University of Minnesota women’s basketball team will hold its team banquet and awards program on Monday, April 9.
Bell, Wagner Named All-Region Nominees
3/22/2018 - W. Basketball
Carlie Wagner and Kenisha Bell were each named as All-Region Nominees for the 2018 WBCA NCAA Division I Coaches' All-America.
Minnesota's NCAA Run Ends in Second Round
3/19/2018 - W. Basketball
No. 10 seed Minnesota saw its run in the NCAA Tournament come to an end in the second round, its best finish in nine years.