Jan. 25, 2014
THE OPENING TIP - QUICK NOTES
• The University of Minnesota women’s basketball team travels to University Park, Pa., to take on No. 13/13 Penn State Sunday in a 12:00 p.m. CT Big Ten contest.
• The game will be broadcast live on CBS, with Dave Ryan handling play-by-play duties and Debbie Antonelli serving as an analyst.
• Fans can listen to the Gopher radio team of Corbu Stathes and Lynnette Sjoquist on 1500 ESPN.
• Live stats can be found on Gophersports.com and live updates will be available on twitter at @GophersWBB.
• The Golden Gophers enter the contest with an 13-7 record on the season and a 2-4 Big Ten record, while the Lady Lions boast a 14-4 overall mark and a Big Ten leading 4-1 conference record.
• Sunday’s matchup will be the 41st all-time between Minnesota and Penn State, with the Lady Lions holding a 12-26 advantage in the series which dates back to 1992. The Gophers defeated Penn State, 89-81, on Senior Night at Williams Arena on March 1, 2013 in the teams’ last meeting. Micaëlla Riché led the team with 24 points.
• After dropping back-to-back overtime games on the road, Minnesota picked up a home win over rival Wisconsin, 64-53, Thursday night at the Barn. Rachel Banham scored 19 and Riché added a double-double.
• Banham was one of just three Big Ten players that were recently named to the John R. Wooden Award Women’s Midseason Top 20. She is also on the Naismith Ttophy and Wade Award watch lists.
• Banham has picked up her game in Big Ten play, as she is averaging a league-bests with 25.7 points per game and a 2.5 assist turnover ratio. She also ranks second in Big Ten only games with 3.0 three-point field goals per game.
• Banham ranks fourth among active NCAA Division I players with a .862 career free throw percentage. She also ranks fifth in career scoring average, ninth in three-point field goal percentage, 23rd in career points, 26th in field goals, 27th in field goal attempts and 48th in free throws.
• Amanda Zahui B. ranks third on the Gophers’ single-season record chart and leads the Big Ten with 58 blocks on the year. She needs eight more to break the record of 65 blocks in a season held by Janel McCarville and four more to move into the top-10 on Minnesota’s career record chart.
• Zahui has secured 5 or more blocks in five contests this season, which includes a program-record 10 blocks vs. Kansas. She ranks 11th nationally and leads the Big Ten with a 3.05 blocks-per-game average.
• Pam Borton enters Sunday’s road game just four wins away from reaching 300 victories for her career. She would become the seventh active Big Ten head coach to reach the 300 career-win milestone.
• The Gophers rank second in the nation with a .430 three-point field goal percentage. Minnesota has connected on 117 of its 272 attempts. Notre Dame leads the NCAA Division I with a .444 three-point field goal percentage.
Whalen Breaks WNBA Wins Record
June has seen one Gopher set an all-time league milestone and two other Gophers notch season highs in wins for their teams.
Gophers Announce Expansive iHeartMedia Partnership
New agreement will keep Gopher football radio broadcasts on KFAN, while bringing men’s and women’s basketball and men’s hockey onto iHeartMedia channels
Meet Coach McGillan
New Gophers assistant coach Marty McGillan is looking forward to the start of summer practice.