No. 6 Minnesota (2-1) at Northern Colorado (0-5)
Time For Two
Golden Gopher Wrestling has a pair of duals on the schedule for the first time this season. The weekend began with a 28-14 win over No. 12 Nebraska on Dec. 10 in Williams Arena. To finish up, Minnesota gets back on the road, traveling to Northern Colorado for a Dec. 13 meet at 3:00 p.m.
The Gophers sit at 2-1 on the season after their win over Nebraska. Northern Colorado, meanwhile, enters the match with a 0-5 record, after a loss to Ohio on Dec. 9.
Northern Colorado first matched up with Minnesota in 1977, and the two teams have met six times, with the Gophers winning each match-up.
The Gophers last met the Bears, just last season. Minnesota and Northern Colorado matched up at the Lone Star Duals on Nov. 29, 2008, with the Gophers earning a convincing 42-4 victory.
Northern Colorado will be streaming the match live on Sunday, and it can be accessed at www.bigskytv.org.
Last Time Out
Last week the Gophers met up with Oklahoma State in a battle of highly ranked teams. The Gophers won the first two matches and three of the first four. But the No. 3 Cowboys won the last six on their way to a 21-8 win over the No. 5 Gophers.
The Gophers will get a well deserved break for the Holidays after the meet with Northern Colorado. Minnesota will not return to action until the end of December when they travel to Greensboro, N.C. for the Southern Scuffle on Dec. 29 and 30. Their next dual is not until after the New Year, when they host Iowa State on the Sports Pavilion on Jan. 3 at 2:00 p.m.
Scouting Northern Colorado
- 0-5 on the season
- Coached by interim head coach Ben Cherrington
- Went 5-11-1 in 2008-09 with a 3-3 mark to finish fourth in the Western Wrestling Conference
- Return eight starters from last season
- Opened dual season at the Northeast Collegiate Duals in Troy, N.Y., falling to Maryland, American, Hofstra and Bingamton
- No. 17 Kenny Hashimoto is the Bears lone ranked wrestler
- Tony Mustari, Kenny Hashimoto, and Justin Gaethje were all NCAA Qualifiers in 2009
- Gaethje and Hashimoto placed fourth and eighth respectively at the Cliff Keen Invite
Get Score Updates on Your Phone
Fans can get scoring updates from all of Golden Gopher athletics through the Twitter page @GopherScores. Just find and follow @GopherScores, then set up your phone or mobile device to receive the text updates. If you are not already on Twitter, you will need to create an account.
Follow the Golden Gophers on Twitter. Just search @GopherWrestling on Twitter to follow all the news updates.