Dec. 7, 2013
Five Things You Should Know:
- The No. 2 University of Minnesota Golden Gopher wrestling team will compete on the road again this weekend as they take on No. 4 Oklahoma State on Sunday afternoon. The Gophers are 3-0 on the season after successfully defeating Purdue, Wyoming and Oregon State. Last weekend, the Golden Gophers were able to defeat the Beavers, 28-12, with eight bout victories. The Gophers are now 3-0 overall and 1-0 in Big Ten competition.
- The Golden Gophers will boast 9 ranked wrestlers entering the dual against Oklahoma State, six of which are in the top five of their respective weight classes, four of which are in the top three and two top-ranked These wrestlers include No. 9 David Thorn (133), No. 4 Chris Dardanes (141), No. 2 Nick Dardanes (149), No. 3 Dylan Ness (157), No. 20 Danny Zilverberg (165), No. 5 Logan Storley (174), No. 17 Brett Pfarr (184), No. 1 Scott Schiller and No. 1 Tony Nelson.
- 197-pound redshirt junior, Scott Schiller, moved to the top spot in his weight class after a big win over then undefeated and then-No. 1 wrestler, Taylor Meeks, of Oregon State. The bout was tied up after three periods as each wrestler had managed an escape. Schiller was able to earn a two-point takedown in OT for the sudden victory, 3-1. After his standout performance, Schiller was named Big Ten Wrestler of the Week by the conference as he helped lead the Gophers to the 28-12 victory on the road. This weekend, he will likely face No. 10 Blake Rosholt this weekend at Oklahoma State.
- Minnesota currently trails in the overall series between the Gophers and the Cowboys, 22-13. The Cowboys have won the last four duals against Minnesota in December meetings. Last year, Minnesota was able to defeat the Cowboys 28-9, when Oklahoma State traveled to Williams Arena in February.
- There are several bouts on Sunday afternoon that will showcase two top ten wrestlers in their respective weight classes. These matchups will be between No. 9 David Thorn and his opponent No. 3 John Morrison (133) , No. 2 Nick Dadanes and No. 4 Josh Kindig (149), No. 2 Chris Perry and No. 5 Lorgan Storley (184) and then No. 10 Blake Rosholt and No. 1 Schiller (197).
Gopher Underclassmen Head to Junior Nationals
A collection of 13 Gophers will compete in Las Vegas this weekend to secure spots at the U.S. Junior World Team Trials
Gopher Wrestling Wraps Up Season at Awards Banquet
Program celebrates the outstanding individual accomplishments of the previous season and the careers of its senior class
Gophers Compete at Olympic Trials
Five Gopher alums wrestled in Iowa City in the hopes of qualifying for the U.S. Olympic Team