Nov. 30, 2013
Five Things You Should Know:
- The No. 2/3 University of Minnesota Golden Gopher wrestling team will travel to No. 9/18 Oregon State on Saturday evening in their third dual of the season. The Gophers are coming off of their opening home weekend with two big wins under their belts. A decisive victory over No. 20 Purdue in the Big Ten opener, 35-3, last Friday and another over Wyoming on Sunday, 41-5, allowed the Gophers to start the season with an overall record of 2-0 and 1-0 in Big Ten competition.
- The Golden Gophers will boast 9 ranked wrestlers entering the dual against Oregon State, six of which are in the top five of their respective weight classes. These wrestlers include No. 8 David Thorn (133), No. 5 Chris Dardanes (141), No. 3 Nick Dardanes (149), No. 3 Dylan Ness (157), No. 17 Danny Zilverberg (165), No. 5 Logan Storley (174), No. 17 Brett Pfarr (184), No. 2 Scott Schiller and No. 1 Tony Nelson.
- Oregon State has four ranked wrestlers including undefeated No. 1 Taylor Meeks (197), who will take on Minnesota’s No. 2 Schiller. The pair has sat at the top of the polls this season. Meeks and Schiller met earlier this month at the All-Star Classic where Meeks was able to come away with the 6-4 victory. Schiller has an undefeated record for the Golden Gophers this season. This will be one of the must-watch bouts of the evening.
- Minnesota leads the all-time series between the two schools dating back a span of forty years, 6-3-1. Oregon State will be the second ranked opponent the Golden Gophers have faced this season.
- The dual will begin at 9 p.m. CT and can be viewed live here. Fans can also follow along by logging onto Twitter and following @GopherWrestling and/or OSU_Wrestling or following match updates on www.trackwrestling.com.
Get to Know Luke Becker
A national champion wrestler and coach, Becker sees potential to accomplish more at his home state school
Get to Know Brandon Eggum
Take a few minutes and learn more about the man who will now lead the Gopher Wrestling program
Gophers Tickets on Sale Now
Pick-Your-Packs and single-event tickets for multiple sports went on sale the morning Sept. 14.