Nov. 30, 2013
Five Things You Should Know:
- The No. 2/3 University of Minnesota Golden Gopher wrestling team will travel to No. 9/18 Oregon State on Saturday evening in their third dual of the season. The Gophers are coming off of their opening home weekend with two big wins under their belts. A decisive victory over No. 20 Purdue in the Big Ten opener, 35-3, last Friday and another over Wyoming on Sunday, 41-5, allowed the Gophers to start the season with an overall record of 2-0 and 1-0 in Big Ten competition.
- The Golden Gophers will boast 9 ranked wrestlers entering the dual against Oregon State, six of which are in the top five of their respective weight classes. These wrestlers include No. 8 David Thorn (133), No. 5 Chris Dardanes (141), No. 3 Nick Dardanes (149), No. 3 Dylan Ness (157), No. 17 Danny Zilverberg (165), No. 5 Logan Storley (174), No. 17 Brett Pfarr (184), No. 2 Scott Schiller and No. 1 Tony Nelson.
- Oregon State has four ranked wrestlers including undefeated No. 1 Taylor Meeks (197), who will take on Minnesota’s No. 2 Schiller. The pair has sat at the top of the polls this season. Meeks and Schiller met earlier this month at the All-Star Classic where Meeks was able to come away with the 6-4 victory. Schiller has an undefeated record for the Golden Gophers this season. This will be one of the must-watch bouts of the evening.
- Minnesota leads the all-time series between the two schools dating back a span of forty years, 6-3-1. Oregon State will be the second ranked opponent the Golden Gophers have faced this season.
- The dual will begin at 9 p.m. CT and can be viewed live here. Fans can also follow along by logging onto Twitter and following @GopherWrestling and/or OSU_Wrestling or following match updates on www.trackwrestling.com.
Sanders Takes Gold in Cuba
2/22/2018 - Wrestling
Zach Sanders along with Minnesota Storm wrestler Hayden Zillmer earned gold medals at Cerro Pelado in Havana, Cuba.
The Man of Many Weights
2/22/2018 - Wrestling
Junior Brandon Krone has won matches at 165, 174, 184 and 197-pounds throughout his nearly four years in a Maroon and Gold singlet.
Match of the Week - Feb. 21
11/21/2017 - Wrestling
Each week the Gophers sit down with a wrestler to discuss the best match of that week.