Nov. 30, 2013
Five Things You Should Know:
- The No. 2/3 University of Minnesota Golden Gopher wrestling team will travel to No. 9/18 Oregon State on Saturday evening in their third dual of the season. The Gophers are coming off of their opening home weekend with two big wins under their belts. A decisive victory over No. 20 Purdue in the Big Ten opener, 35-3, last Friday and another over Wyoming on Sunday, 41-5, allowed the Gophers to start the season with an overall record of 2-0 and 1-0 in Big Ten competition.
- The Golden Gophers will boast 9 ranked wrestlers entering the dual against Oregon State, six of which are in the top five of their respective weight classes. These wrestlers include No. 8 David Thorn (133), No. 5 Chris Dardanes (141), No. 3 Nick Dardanes (149), No. 3 Dylan Ness (157), No. 17 Danny Zilverberg (165), No. 5 Logan Storley (174), No. 17 Brett Pfarr (184), No. 2 Scott Schiller and No. 1 Tony Nelson.
- Oregon State has four ranked wrestlers including undefeated No. 1 Taylor Meeks (197), who will take on Minnesota’s No. 2 Schiller. The pair has sat at the top of the polls this season. Meeks and Schiller met earlier this month at the All-Star Classic where Meeks was able to come away with the 6-4 victory. Schiller has an undefeated record for the Golden Gophers this season. This will be one of the must-watch bouts of the evening.
- Minnesota leads the all-time series between the two schools dating back a span of forty years, 6-3-1. Oregon State will be the second ranked opponent the Golden Gophers have faced this season.
- The dual will begin at 9 p.m. CT and can be viewed live here. Fans can also follow along by logging onto Twitter and following @GopherWrestling and/or OSU_Wrestling or following match updates on www.trackwrestling.com.
Three Top-Five Finishes Highlight Fargo 2017
Four Minnesota signees were competing at Fargo this week at the Junior National Championships, with three of them finishing in the top five in their respective weight classes.
Storley Wins Bellator Debut in Impressive Fashion
With a flurry of elbow blows, Storley secured his first Bellator victory with a technical knockout, and moved his professional MMA record to 6-0.
Eggum Tours Athletes Village
Gopher Wrestling head coach Brandon Eggum toured the new University of Minnesota Athletes Village in June 2017.