MINNEAPOLIS – The University of Minnesota and Gopher Athletics will break ground on the new outdoor track & field facility on Friday, Oct. 20, at 11 a.m. CT as the Maroon & Gold celebrate the future home of Gopher men’s and women’s track & field.
The event will be at the northeast corner of the Athletes Village (just east of Siebert Field and Jane Sage Cowles Stadium). Guests are encouraged to park in the 4th Street Ramp. Track & field coaches, student-athletes and University leadership will be on hand to celebrate the new facility.
The new outdoor track and field stadium at the University of Minnesota will give the Golden Gopher programs their first opportunities in more than 15 years to host home meets, including Big Ten and NCAA competition. Located in the heart of the new Athletes Village area, this facility will become synonymous with track & field excellence in the Midwest. It will not only provide a first-class experience for the young men and women who compete for Minnesota, it will provide Minnesota high schools with a venue for major meets and USA Track and Field with a Minnesota option for placing its marquee events.
- A nine-lane track - A state-of-the-art surface set with nine lanes and three chutes, providing the flexibility to host major competitions at all levels.
- Full field event hosting capabilities - Amenities and space will be available to host all field events on-site. This facility will be capable of hosting all events for a complete track and field competition in one place.
- Versatile configuration - The facility’s layout will provide opportunities to run sprints on both the front and backstretches, as well as opportunities to change directions for long jump, triple jump, pole vault and other events to work with the prevailing winds on competition days.
- Warm-up and cool down areas – Private spaces beneath the grandstands will provide competitors areas to warm up prior to competing and cool down following their events.
- Grandstands with capacity to host major competitions – A combination of permanent and event-based seating will create enough available seats to host many of the state’s and nation’s largest meets.
'U' Opens Outdoor Season at ASU
3/16/2018 - M. Track & Field
The University of Minnesota men's track & field program opens the outdoor campaign this weekend at the Baldy Castillo Invitational in Tempe, Ariz. The two-day competition is hosted by...
Gophers Claim Six All-Americans
3/10/2018 - M. Track & Field
Representing the Maroon & Gold as Second Team All-Americans were Teddy Frid in the heptathlon, Ryan Lockard in the high jump and the 4x400 meter relay team.
Frid Hits Two PRs to Open NCAA Meet
3/9/2018 - M. Track & Field
Through four events, Frid sits in 16th with 3,028 points in his first appearance at the Division I national championships.