MINNEAPOLIS – The University of Minnesota and Gopher Athletics will break ground on the new outdoor track & field facility on Friday, Oct. 20, at 11 a.m. CT as the Maroon & Gold celebrate the future home of Gopher men’s and women’s track & field.
The event will be at the northeast corner of the Athletes Village (just east of Siebert Field and Jane Sage Cowles Stadium). Guests are encouraged to park in the 4th Street Ramp. Track & field coaches, student-athletes and University leadership will be on hand to celebrate the new facility.
The new outdoor track and field stadium at the University of Minnesota will give the Golden Gopher programs their first opportunities in more than 15 years to host home meets, including Big Ten and NCAA competition. Located in the heart of the new Athletes Village area, this facility will become synonymous with track & field excellence in the Midwest. It will not only provide a first-class experience for the young men and women who compete for Minnesota, it will provide Minnesota high schools with a venue for major meets and USA Track and Field with a Minnesota option for placing its marquee events.
- A nine-lane track - A state-of-the-art surface set with nine lanes and three chutes, providing the flexibility to host major competitions at all levels.
- Full field event hosting capabilities - Amenities and space will be available to host all field events on-site. This facility will be capable of hosting all events for a complete track and field competition in one place.
- Versatile configuration - The facility’s layout will provide opportunities to run sprints on both the front and backstretches, as well as opportunities to change directions for long jump, triple jump, pole vault and other events to work with the prevailing winds on competition days.
- Warm-up and cool down areas – Private spaces beneath the grandstands will provide competitors areas to warm up prior to competing and cool down following their events.
- Grandstands with capacity to host major competitions – A combination of permanent and event-based seating will create enough available seats to host many of the state’s and nation’s largest meets.
New Track Facility to Have Big Impact
11/17/2017 - M. Track & Field
Hear from some of the stakeholders, student-athletes and coaches involved as the unveils plans for a new track and field facility coming in Fall 2018.
Gophers' Track and Field Stadium Breaks Ground
10/20/2017 - M. Track & Field
New outdoor track and field stadium nestled in among existing facilities on the East Bank campus will give the University its first competition-level outdoor facility in nearly 15 years
Groundbreaking for T&F Stadium Set for Friday
10/17/2017 - M. Track & Field
The University of Minnesota and Gopher Athletics will break ground on the new outdoor track & field facility on Friday, Oct. 20, at 11 a.m. CT.