CitThe University of Minnesota men's track and field team stands in fourth place with six points after its first day of competition Friday at the Big Ten Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Iowa City, Iowa.
Iowa is currently in the lead after day one's events with 24 points, while Purdue is second with 22 and Michigan is third with 14.
Minnesota's Glenn Lindqvist finished atop all competitors in the shot put (decathlon) with a throw of 14.33 while teammate Lyndon McDowell took second in both the shot put (13.96m) and long jump (6.93m). In addition, Jesse Madsen placed in the shot put as well finishing fourth with a throw of 13.80m.
Day One of Big Ten Outdoor Championships
Friday, May 19
1. Iowa 24 pts.
2. Purdue 22 pts.
3. Michigan 14 pts.
4. Minnesota 6 pts.
5. Penn State 5 pts.
6. Wisconsin 4 pts.
7. Illinois 2 pts.
8. Ohio State 1 pt.
Golden Gopher Events Only:
100 Meter Dash-Dec.
1. Scott Faber, IOWA, 10.93; 2. Benny Gill, WISCONSIN, 11.27; 3. Brad Mohns, WISCONSIN, 11.31; 6. Lyndon McDowell, MINNESOTA, 11.35.
Hammer Throw Finals
1. Arno van der Westhuizen, IOWA, 66.58m (Big Ten Meet Record); 2. Chris Brown, PURDUE, 65.88m; 3. Chris Spurrier, PURDUE, 60.40m; 7. Mark Fahey, MINNESOTA, 56.56m; 8. Ben Meyer, MINNESOTA, 55.92m.
1. Brad Mohns, WISCONSIN, 7.01m; 2. Lyndon McDowell, MINNESOTA, 6.93m; 3. Scott Faber, IOWA, 6.78m.
1. Glenn Lindqvist, MINNESOTA, 14.33m; 2. Lyndon McDowell, MINNESOTA, 13.96m; 3. Benny Gill, WISCONSIN, 13.89m; 4. Jesse Madsen, MINNESOTA, 13.80m.
400 Meter Dash-Dec.
1. Scott Faber, IOWA, 48.27; 2. Matt Ingram, MICHIGAN STATE, 49.16; 3. Lyndon McDowell, MINNESOTA, 49.25.