Ali claimed the program's first national championship in the steeplechase by breaking his own school record at 8:32.23 on Friday night at Hayward Field, taking the lead during the bell lap and recording Minnesota's best finish in the event at the NCAA meet.
Competing at historic Hayward Field at the University of Oregon, Ali led the semifinal field with a time of 8:39.17 on Wednesday to advance to Friday's final at 7:54 p.m. CT.
Representing the Gophers will be Obsa Ali (3,000 meter steeplechase), Ryan Lockard (high jump) and Kieran McKeag (hammer throw).
A two-time All-American in the indoor high jump, Lockard punched his ticket to the NCAA championships with a fifth-place showing at Hornet Stadium on Saturday.
Ali punched his ticket to next month's NCAA championships in Oregon after leading the 3,000 meter steeplechase field with a time of 8:36.49 -- a mark that stands as the fastest time in the NCAA this season.
2018 NCAA Championships
2018 NCAA Outdoor Championships
Big Ten Indoor Championships
2016 Big Ten Outdoor Track & Field Championships (Day Three)
Ali's Personal Records
CAREER AWARDS & HONORS
• 2018 NCAA Champion (3,000 Meter Steeplechase)
• Two-Time All-American in the Steeplechase
• Three-Time All-Big Ten Selection
• School Records: 3,000 Meter Steeplechase (8:32.23), 10,000 meters in cross country (29:23.06)
2018 | REDSHIRT JUNIOR SEASON
• 2018 NCAA champion and First Team All-American in the 3,000 meter steeplechase, resetting his own school record at 8:32.23 at the 2018 NCAA Division I Outdoor Track & Field Championships.
• Became Minnesota's first national champion in the steeplechase while recording the program's fourth all-time national title.
• Broke a nearly 47-year old school 3,000 meter steeplechase record at the 2017 NCAA Division I Outdoor Track & Field West Preliminary to qualify for the national championships (8:36.49)
• 2018 Big Ten Champion and First Team All-Big Ten in the 3,000 meter steeplechase (8:44.77), led the Gophers with 16 points at the outdoor meet after adding a third-place finish in the 5,000 meters.
• Ran the third fastest outdoor 5,000 meters in school history (13:43.13) at the 2018 Cardinal Classic.
• Led all five steeplechase competitions he ran in during the season with wins at the NCAA championships, the NCAA West Preliminary, the Big Ten championships and the National Relays (also led the semifinal race at the national championships).
2017 | REDSHIRT SOPHOMORE SEASON
• Second Team All-American in the 3,000 meter steeplechase, finishing 14th (8:49.00).
• Second Team All-Big Ten, finishing second in the 3,000 meter steeplechase at the 2017 Big Ten meet (8:45.55).
• Second Team All-Big Ten, finishing second in the indoor 5,000 meters at the 2017 Big Ten meet (14:05.69).
• Ran the second fastest indoor 5,000 meters in school history (13:57.43) at the 2017 ISU Classic.
• Added event titles in the indoor mile (Jack Johnson Classic), the outdoor 1,500 meters (TomCat Twilight) and the 3,000 meter steeplechase (BearCat Twilight).
2016 | REDSHIRT FRESHMAN SEASON
• Ran the eighth fastest indoor 3,000 meters in school history (8:07.02)
2015 | FRESHMAN SEASON
Indoor: Ran in the 1 Mile Run unattached placing 5th with a time of 4:11.09 at the 2015 Jack Johnson Classic. Outdoor: At the 2015 Hamline Invitational, placed 5th unattached in the 1500 meters with a time of 3:55.75 • unattached at the Musco Twilight Invitational won the 3000 meters with a time of 8:17.59.
A 2014 graduate of Richfield High School • a two-time Nike All-American in cross country • ended his prep career with seven total medals in state cross country and track & field competition • won the 2014 Minnesota State AA cross country title as a senior with a time of 15:15 after finishing second at the meet as a junior • also won the 2014 state 3,200 meter title with a new all-time record of 8:57 as a junior in track • was a two-time all-state honorary in cross country and a three-time all-state honorary in track & field • earned a total of nine all-conference accolades as a prep (four in track & field, two in cross country, two in wrestling and one in soccer) • holds Richfiled High School records for the 5,000 meters (14:57) and the 3,200 meters (8:57) • a two-time high school individual champion at the Roy Griak Invitational.
Born Feb. 17, 1996 • son of Hadia Borou • Hometown: Minneapolis, Minnesota. • High School: Richfield. • has two brothers • major is Undecided. • was All-State in cross country twice and in track three times • holds the high school record in the 3200 meter and 5000 meter.
Four Gophers Earn Academic All-America Nods
6/21/2018 - M. Track & Field
Representing the Maroon & Gold are Second Team honorees Derek Wiebke and Madeline Strandemo and Third Team selections Temi Ogunrinde and Kiley Sabin.
Three 'U' Alums Set for USATF Championships
6/20/2018 - M. Track & Field
Representing the Maroon & Gold are Sean Donnelly in the hammer throw, Harun Abda in the 800 meters and Hassan Mead in the 1,500 meters.
Obsa Ali Captures NCAA Steeplechase Crown
6/8/2018 - M. Track & Field
Ali claimed the program's first national championship in the steeplechase by breaking his own school record at 8:32.23 on Friday night at Hayward Field.