cThe University of Minnesota men's tennis team finished the three- day, season-opening Nebraska Invitational today with a 3-3 tie against the host Cornhuskers in Lincoln, Neb. The Nebraska Invite was contested in a hidden dual format, with schools competing as full teams, but only individual results recorded (no team scores). The six teams - Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Drake, Denver and Wisconsin - rotated singles and doubles each day of the tournament.
In the singles dual versus Nebraska, the Golden Gophers picked up wins at Nos. 2-4, and narrowly avoided winning a fourth match, losing match tiebreakers at Nos. 1 & 6. Brian Lipinski remained undefeated at 3-0 this fall with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Adrian Szatmary at No. 2. Nick Edlefsen at No. 3 dropped James Clow, 6-3, 6- 2, while Sion Wilkins defeated Marcus Karner, 6-3, 6-3, for UM's second and third singles wins.
Former Husker D.J. Geatz lost his match tiebreaker, 11-9, at No. 1 to Jerry Posch, while Pete Torgimson fell 10-5 in his tiebreaker to Joel Reckewey at No. 6.
The Maroon and Gold heads to Chattanooga, Tenn., next weekend for the ITA All-American Championships.
2004 Nebraska Invitational
Sept. 26, 2004
Minnesota vs. Nebraska
1. Jerry Posch (NU) def. D.J. Geatz (MN), 6-4, 4-6, (11-9)
2. Brian Lipinski (MN) def. Adrian Szatmary (NU), 6- 3, 6-2
3. Nick Edlesfsen (MN) def. James Clow (NU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Sion Wilkins (MN) def. Marcus Karner (NU), 6-3, 6-3
5. Jose Rivera (NU) def. Chi Pham (MN), 6-4, 6-2
6. Joel Reckewey (NU) def. Pete Torgrimson (MN), 7-6, 2-6, (10-5)
Winner: Tie 3-3