InThe University of Minnesota men's tennis team had another succesful day at the 2004 Nebraska Invitational today, going 6-5 in singles and 1-2 in doubles in Lincoln, Neb. The season-opening Nebraska Invite concludes Sunday.
The Nebraska Invitational is contested in a hidden dual format, with schools competing as full teams, but only individual results recorded (no team scores). The six teams - Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Drake, Denver and Wisconsin - will rotate singles and doubles each day of the tournament.
In the first singles dual of the day, Minnesota tied Denver, 3-3. The Golden Gophers dropped matches at Nos. 1, 2 and 4, but rallied with three straight-set wins to tie the dual. At No. 3, sophomore Brian Lipinski downed Niklas Persson, 6-3, 6-0 to move to 2-0 on the season. Chi Pham and Pete Torgimson earned wins at Nos. 5 and 6 to gain the dual tie for the Maroon and Gold.
The Golden Gophers responded in their second singles dual of the day with a 3-2 triumph over Big Ten foe Wisconsin. Pham, D.J. Geatz and Nick Edlefsen claimed victories to lead Minnesota to the team win.
In doubles play, the Maroon and Gold dropped its first dual of the event, falling 2-1 to Iowa. Minnesota picked up its lone win at No. 3 as Geatz and Lipinski downed Aaron Schaechterle andJ.P. Ritchie, 8-3.
For complete results from the 2004 Nebraska Invitational, check www.huskers.com.
2004 Nebraska Invitational
Sept. 25, 2004
Minnesota vs. Denver
1. Adam Holmstrom (DU) def. D.J. Geatz (MN), 6-1, 6-1
2. Victor Zetterholm (DU) def. Nick Edlesfsen (MN), no score given, (10-6)
3. Brian Lipinski (MN) def. Niklas Persson (DU), 6-3, 6-0
4. Jason Tan (DU) def. Sion Wilkins (MN), 6-1, 7-6
5. Chi Pham (MN) def. Ryan Slemmons (DU), 6-0, 6-2
6. Pete Torgrmson (MN) def. P.J. McGinnis (DU), 6-3, 6-4
Winner: Tie 3-3
Minnesota vs. Wisconsin
1. D.J. Geatz (MN) def. Jeremy Sonkin (UW), 6-3, 6-4
2. Jordan Raemisch (UW) def. Adrien Debreyne (MN), 6-4, ret.
3. Nick Edlefsen (MN) def. Elliott Bishop (UW), 7-5, 4-6, (11-9)
4. Felipe Belido (UW) def. Sion Wilkins (MN), 6-4, 6-4
5. Chi Pham (MN) def. Mike Goodman (UW), 7-6, 6-3
Winner: Minnesota, 3-2
Minnesota vs. Iowa
1. Brett Taylor/Kyle Markham (UI) def. Nick Edlefsen/Chi Pham (MN), 8-6
2. Chaitu Malempati/Bart Vaumonsjuo (UI) def. Sion Wilkins/Pete Torgrimson (MN), 8 -6
3. D.J. Geatz/Brian Lipinski (MN) def. Aaron Schaechterle/J.P. Ritchie (UI), 8 -3
Winner: Iowa, 2-1