coThe University of Minnesota men's tennis team opened its 2004-05 season today with a dominating showing at the Nebraska Invitational. The Golden Gophers went 11-1 in singles play and 2-1 in doubles competition.
The Nebraska Invitational is contested in a hidden dual format, with schools competing as full teams, but only individual results recorded (no team scores). The six teams - Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Drake, Denver and Wisconsin - will rotate singles and doubles each day of the tournament through Sunday, Sept. 26.
In the Maroon and Gold's first singles dual, the Golden Gophers routed Iowa, 7-0, with five players making their first appearance for Minnesota. At No. 1, sophomore D.J. Geatz out- lasted Chaitu Malempoti, 6-4, 3-6, (10-8), at No. 1, while freshman Adrien Debreyne downed Kyle Debreyne, 7-6, 6-4. At No. 3, Nick Edlefsen, a transfer from UC Santa Barbara, overwhelmed J.P. Ritchie, 6-3, 6-2, while Chi Pham and Pete Torgrimson prevailed in straight-set matches at No. 6 and 7. Sophomores Brian Lipinski and Sion Wilkins opened their second seasons at UM with solid wins.
Minnesota posted a 4-1 mark against Drake in its second singles dual of the afternoon. The Golden Gophers' lone loss came at No. 1 as Sergi Vila defeated Edlefsen, 6-2, 7-6. At Nos. 2-4, Minnesota prevailed in three three-set matches as Debreyne, Lipinski and Pham each picked up their second win of the day. Geatz wrapped up singles play with a straight- set win at No. 6.
In Minnesota's lone doubles dual, the Golden Gophers went 2-1 against host Nebraska. At No. 1 Geatz, a former Cornhusker, and Debreyn edged Gerhard Posch and Jose Rivera, 9 -8. Edlefsen and Pham earned the other win with an 8-5 triumph over Marcuss Karner and Karl Jones.
The Golden Gophers continue play tomorrow morning and conclude competition on Sunday. Check www.huskers.com for complete results from the Nebraska Invitational
2004 Nebraska Invitational
Minnesota vs. Iowa
1. D.J. Geatz (MN) def. Chaitu Malempoti (Iowa), 6-4, 3-6, (10-8)
2. Adrien Debreyne (MN) def. Kyle Markhom (Iowa), 7-6, 6-4
3. Nick Edlefsen (MN) def. J.P. Ritchie (Iowa), 6-3, 6-2
4. Brian Lipinski (MN) def. Bart van Monsjou (Iowa), 6-4, 6-1
5. Sion Wilkins (MN) def. Brett Taylor (Iowa), 7-6, 0-6, (10-7)
6. Chi Pham (MN) def. Aaron Schaechterle (Iowa), 6-2, 6-1
7. Pete Torgrimson (MN) def. Scott Elwell (Iowa), 6-4, 6-4
Winner: Minnesota 7-0
Minnesota vs. Drake
1. Sergi Vila (Drake) def. Nick Edlesfsen (MN), 6-2, 7-6
2. Adrien Debreyne (MN) def. Jack Frankowicz (Drake), 6-4, 4-6, (11-9)
3. Brian Lipinski (MN) def. Daliber Pavic (Drake), 7-6, 3-6, (11-9)
4. Chi Pham (MN) def. Jonathan Tishler (Drake), 4-6, 6-3, (10-5)
5. D.J. Geatz (MN) def. Chris Lueth (Drake), 6-3, 6-3
Winner: Minnesota 4-1
Minnesota vs. Nebraska
1. D.J. Geatz/ Adrien Debreyne (MN) def. Gerhard Posch/Jose Rivera (Neb.), 9-8
2. Nick Eldefsen/Chi Pham (MN) def. Marcus Karner/Karl Jones (Neb.), 8-5
3. Joel Reckewey/Adrian Szatmary (Neb.) def. Sion Wilkins/Brian Lipinski (MN), 8-4
Winner: Minnesota 2-1