The 41st-ranked University of Minnesota men's tennis team's run at the 2006 NCAA Championships came to an end today as ninth-ranked Miami blanked the Golden Gophers 4-0 in the second round of the national tournament at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center in Coral Gables, Fla. The Maroon and Gold finished the 2005-06 season with a 14-13 overall record and a 7-3 mark in the Big Ten.
The host Hurricanes (20-4) went 2-0 in doubles play and 3-0 in singles action to advance to the round of 16 in Stanford, Calif., on May 20-23. Miami opened the dual with two quick wins at Nos. 1 and 2 doubles. Luigi D'Agord and Daniel Vallverdu, ranked 10th in the nation, defeated Minnesota's Adrien Debreyne and Raoul Schwark, 8-3, before Erick Hechtman and Tim Krebs rolled to an 8-4 win over D.J. Geatz and Andres Osorio.
Miami wasted little time in singles play, clinching the team win with three straight-set victories to post the shutout. Krebs pushed the Canes' lead to 2-0 at No. 4 with his 6-2, 6-2 win over Debreyne. With his loss, Debreyne wrapped up his senior season with an 11 -11 mark in dual matches. Josh Cohen, ranked 81st in the nation, pushed the Miami lead to 3-0 at No. 3 with a 7-5, 6-4 triumph over Nic Edlefsen. The Hurricanes wrapped up the shutout at No. 1 with third-ranked D'Agord's 6-2, 7-5 victory over 59th-ranked D.J. Geatz.
Today's contest marked David Geatz's final dual match appearance as head coach of the Golden Gopher program. Eighteen years at the helm of the Maroon and Gold, Geatz wraps up his career at the University of Minnesota with a 310-156 record. In 23 seasons as a head coach, Geatz owns a 430-221 record. Geatz will coach his son, junior D.J. Geatz, at the 2006 NCAA Singles Championships in Stanford, Calif., on May 24-29.
#41 Minnesota at #9 Miami
NCAA Championships - Second Round
May 14, 2006
Coral Gables, Fla.
Neil Schiff Tennis Center
1. #3 Luigi D'Agord (Miami) def. #59 D.J. Geatz (MN), 6-2, 7-5
2. #99 Daniel Vallverdu (Miami) led Andres Osorio (MN), 7-6, 2-0, abd.
3. #81 Josh Cohen (Miami) def. Nic Edlefsen (MN), 7-5, 6-4
4. Tim Krebs (Miami) def. Adrien Debreyne (MN), 6-2, 6-2
5. Raoul Schwark (MN) led Eric Hechtman (Miami), 7-6, 2-1, abd.
6. John Hoyes (Miami) led Brian Lipinski (MN), 6-2, 5-4, abd.
Order of finish: 4,3,1
1. #10 D'Agord/Vallverdu (Miami) def. Debreyne/Schwark (MN), 8-3
2. Hechtman/Krebs (Miami) def. Geatz/Osorio (MN), 8-4
3. P.J. Passalaqua/Vivek Subramanian (Miami) led Edlefsen/Sion Wilkins (MN), 6-5
Order of finish: 1,2
#9 Miami def. #41 Minnesota, 4-0