ChampaigThe seventh-seeded at 54th-ranked University of Minnesota men's tennis team advanced to the quarterfinals of the 2005 Big Ten Championship with a 4-1 win over No. 10 seed Wisconsin today in Champaign, Ill. The Golden Gophers (9-12, 5-5 Big Ten) posted two quick doubles wins and went 3-1 in singles play to advance to face No. 2 seed and 26th- ranked Ohio State tomorrow at 2 p.m.
In doubles play, Minnesota's Nic Edlefsen and Raoul Schwark dispatched Jordan Raemisch and Steve Guntly, 8-4, at No. 2, while Mikey Kantar and D. J. Geatz defeated Mark Weinig and Jeremy Sonkin, 8-4, at No. 3 to clinch the doubles point for the Maroon and Gold. With their wins, Edlefsen and Schwark improved to 7-7 this season, while Geatz and Kantar picked up their first win as a doubles team.
In singles action, Avery Ticer and Schwark charged on to win their matches with 31st- ranked Ticer claiming a 7-6 (4), 6-1 victory over Alex Kasarov at No. 1 singles and Schwark defeating Brian Ko, 6-4, 6-1 at No. 5 singles. With his win, Ticer improved to 14-3 in dual matches this season. After a 6-1, 6-1 win by UW's Jeremy Sonkin over No. 116 Adrien Debreyne at No. 2, Minnesota's D.J. Gaetz clinched the match for the Golden Gophers with a 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 3 over Lachezar Kasarov. Geatz's victory pushed his overall record on the season to 11-10.
The Maroon and Gold will look to snap a three-match losing streak to Ohio State in the quarterfinals of the 2005 Big Ten Championship tomorrow at 2 p.m. Earlier this season, the Buckeyes edged Minnesota, 4-3, in Columbus.
#7 seed/#54 Minnesota vs. #10 seed Wisconsin
2005 Big Ten Championship - First Round
April 28, 2005
1. #50 Avery Ticer/Adrien Debreyne (MN) led Alex Kasarov/Lachezar Kasarov (UW), 7-3 abandoned
2. Nic Edlefsen/Raoul Schwark (MN) def. Jordan Raemisch/Steve Guntly (UW), 8-4
3. D.J. Geatz/Mikey Kantar (MN) def. Mark Weinig/Jeremy Sonkin (UW), 8-4
1. #31 Avery Ticer (MN) def. Alex Kasarov (UW), 7-6 (4), 6-1
2. Jeremy Sonkin (UW) def. #116 Adrien Debreyne (MN), 6-1, 6 -1
3. D.J. Geatz (MN) def. Lachezar Kasarov (UW), 6 -2, 6-2
4. Nic Edlefsen (MN) led Felipe Bellido (UW), 7-5, 3-3 abandoned
5. Raoul Schwark (MN) def. Brian Ko (UW), 6-4, 6 -1
6. Mark Weinig (UW) led Brian Lipinski (MN), 6-1, 4-6, 2-1 abandoned
#7 seed/#54 Minnesota def. #10 seed Wisconsin, 4-1